Brodie Inter War Helmet.

Norrie

Hi Guys....just a wee question if poss....I bought this last night on T'internet, advertised as an Inter War Brodie....and in seemingly good condition....It's bought and paid for, and mibbes i should have asked here first, but the sale was closing, and didn't really have time..and to be honest, I just want a Brodie for a display...nothing historically perfect needed.....:)

BTW, It's seemingly an unissued and held in stock for the last 50 years item, but,   I'm now thinking it's maybe a repro.

Cost incl post was $38....

Your thoughts please...:)

BTW, It's in California, being posted to my daughter in LA, then coming to me later this year when they come over on holiday...:)

tommy hat 3.JPG

tommy hat.JPG

tommy hat2.JPG

Edited by Norrie

14 minutes ago, Ham & Jam said:

@Mark K is your man @Norrie he has some fantastic British helmets and seems very knowledgeable mate,fingers crossed its a good un. ;)

Thanks for that...it's appreciated...:) 

TBH tho, I'm not too phased if its' an original or not, all the ones I've seen on the bay have been crazy money, or not in very good condition...this seemed to be a decent one at a decent price... 

Would be great if it actually is a good one tho...:)

Hi @Norrie tough to speculate on at this point as the pictures really do not share enough detail to be a 100% positive on much of anything but IMO it could very well be a good period lid but it has been repainted at some point in its life and as it is sporting a smooth finish which would indicate it is not Army issued as it should have a textured finish on the exterior of the helmet body.. The chinstrap retaining lugs are Mk II's in design they were not introduced until June of 1937..The liner retention nut and bolt are not period original and the liner and crucifix dome pad stand a chance but better pictures will be needed and they may be Canadian and should be well marked and dated on the cross straps.       The Devil will be in the details and you should have your daughter inspect it a little closer for you upon receiving it in the post...

Regards Mark   

• Upvote 2

Wow!!! What a lot of info @Mark K...fantastic stuff, and many thanks.... I'll get her to take some decent pictures for me when it arrives at her home and will post them up..:)

Thanks again mate..:)

• Upvote 1

No problem @Norrie I should have as well mentioned that the liner is very probably a wartime and or post war Mk II from the looks of it from the images ...

Regards Mark 

• Upvote 1

@Mark K, righty, thanks for that...at least it's not a repro liner..., as for a chin strap, I'll need to buy one for it, should i just buy one like this??

strap..jpg

Yes that style of chinstrap.would work fine with this particular helmet...

Regards  Mark 

Edited by Mark K
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, Just got some more pics from LA of that helmet I bought....quite happy now, got a date on it of 1941.... tho, daughter is scared to move the liner too much, she says its a tad brittle..so, no idea if their is anything under it....it doesnt have a smooth finish after all, it def has some "roughage" on it, and she says it has been painted and repainted a few times.. Anyone know what VMC stands for?? @Mark K ?? :)

received_10208789512351414.jpeg

received_10208789511151384.jpeg

received_10208789511431391.jpeg

received_10208789511631396.jpeg

received_10208789511711398.jpeg

received_10208789511911403.jpeg

received_10208789511991405.jpeg

received_10208789512231411.jpeg

Just had a couple of other pics from her, some stamps under the rim, I have no idea what they mean...plus a stamp on the chinstrap clip, she thinks it says M then a line under it, then 340...:)

Had a wee look on t'internet, and looks like it's a Canadian helmet...am i right?? was it a good buy?? No matter, its going to be hanging on my wall soon enough...:)

tommy hat....jpg

tommy hatb.jpg

Hi @Norrie will start with the liner and it is Canadian and All Canadian produced liners for the Mk II were manufactured by the Viceroy Manufacturing Company of Toronto Ontario (VMC) and were constructed with oilcloth for the head liner ,fibre for the liner bands and suspension,and a cloth inner padded ring for comfort ,with the exception of the buffers which were manufactured from rubber .
The first contracts were awarded in January of 1940 all Canadian war time produced liners should bare the manufacturers logo ( VMC ) followed by the designation stamp which will either be a Mk I or Mk II, size and the date embossed in the liner band it is not uncommon to find a white C-/l\ ink stamp on the interior stamped on the liner band and in some cases the inspectors ink mark can be seen as well stamped under the C-/l\ as well. The manufacturers mark and date codes on later war produced liners can at times also be found as well on the reverse sides of the liner bands and will not be evident till the liner is removed from the helmet for further inspection. 
In July, 1941 a minor change was instituted in the Mk II linings produced by VMC they were fitted with steel wire clips to retain the rubber buffers in place on the lining band which would make for easier servicing and replacement
a further modification was introduced in late 1942 or early 1943; when the position of the buffers and placement of the vertical bands was altered to allow a deeper more comfortable fit. The linings with the buffer retention spring were designated the Lining Mk.II those without springs were retroactively designated the Lining Mk I.

IMO the helmet Body was manufactured by Ro & Co --- Rubery Owen & Co -- Darleston, England whom produced shells from - 1939 – 1943 and by the look of the stamp it was manufactured in 1943 .And now that better images are available it becomes clear to me that the chinstrap lugs are actually Mk III's and not Mk II's like I first suspected and I am not so convinced from the images that it is sporting a textured finish it may have been fairly ruff at the time of the repaint but you will know better once you get it in hand..

Regards Mark

• Upvote 1

Wow !!!! @Mark K, you know yer stuff....that is some information..thankyou...you are getting me hooked on these helmets, I never for a minute thought their would be so much involved in them. That is my first Tommy....for now anyway...my mate has an Black ARP one he's going to "donate" to the cause...it was his grandads in Birmingham during WW2... see what you have all started??? :) 

I tend to agree with the "rough", its only one little area near the rim, and was probs as you say, just dirt on it when painted.

Again

Thanks guys, what a place this is..:)

• Upvote 1