Unissued 1944 Dated Canadian HSDR

Mark K

I added this Canadian Despatch Rider helmet to my collection some time ago she is of course all done up with a little window dressing for the purpose of display she is sporting a Canadian late war knotted two tone net and a set of Resistal Goggles I just could not leave it behind as nice examples of these are starting to get hard to come by and after some minor dickering over price with the seller she came home with me 
They are known in the Canadian Service as the Helmet, Crash,Motor Cyclist Steel or A 15550 I would not call it mint but it is in un-issued condition and shows some light wear do to storage and handling and the remnants of a sticker or a decal on the outer shell the liner and shell are both dated 1944 the shell is a Mk I steel N# 3 and was manufactured by The Canadian Motorlamp Co. and is marked C.L./C 1944 with the capital letter S impressed in the rear of the shell denoting the size as a small the shell is painted matt khaki green #3 which is correct according to the First Army Routine Order of the 27 July 1941 
The liner is in decent condition as well with a few blemishes do to storage the sorbo rubber is still quite supple and pliable the liner as well is dated 1944 and was manufactured by Backstay Standards and bares there company logo BS with in a circle it is in a size 7 there is a C-Broad Arrow stamp hidden behind the leather on the front crash pad and clearly evident in the images is a sticker denoting she was made in Canada which would have been added for the purpose of export after any existing stock was sold off as surplus in the 1970's .
Thanx for looking all comments are welcome.

Regards Mark

Picture 2256(1).jpg

Picture 2257(1).jpg

Picture 2259(1).jpg

Picture 2264(1).jpg

Picture 2559(1).jpg

Picture 2556(1).jpg

Picture 2557(1).jpg

Picture 2560(1).jpg

helmet25.jpg

helmet26.jpg

Edited by Mark K
  • Upvote 2

Thanx @Manu Della Valle it dresses up and displays rather well on the shelf... I have been trying to find a set of Resistal goggles with the natural Rubber dust boots as seen in the period images above but they are hard to source on the ground in good condition as the rubber does not stand up to the years well the examples I have posted are period correct and wear worn but the other style are more desirable...

Regards Mark

$(KGrHqZHJ!4FIVHBchoUBSLJWubPv!~~60_57.JPG

You know its depressing, not the fact your posting excellent pieces, but just that I have had to sell my collection of lids in the past. I had a very nice DR helmet in good condition, that went , a large collection of Mk11s, 30 in all, I only have five left, plus a couple of M1s , two turtles with nets,and two para helmets, I really regret selling them but family comes first with me, but the wife has refused to let me sell anything else, she knows what these meant to me as my dad bought most of them when i was a lot younger

Sorry to here that Dave and yes I agree family must always come first we raised six kids whom are all out on there own now and I am blessed with five grand children. I have been fortunate and have never had to sell off a piece from my collecting but it has at many times been put on the back burner over the years it is all about priorities...As to how many helmets I have in my collection we shall say I have more than some and not as many as others and as long as there is interest I will contribute to the forum I have gave up on most of the other venue's I post on now do to a lack of interest...

Regards Mark 

• Upvote 1

@Mark K Cracking looking helmet..hope it's ok with you, BUT, .I downloaded them and emailed them off to my dad, hes 82, and was a DR in the RAF  after WW2, based in Munchengladbach in Germany from 1950 to 54.....he wore exactly that same helmet, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing your pictures..thanks for that...:) he also told me, his bike was a Triumph Thunderbird 650cc, and that he wore a long white holster on his hip, with NO revolver in it ...LOL..:)

He thinks he might have a couple of pictures...if he does, i'll get them on here...

He really enjoyed those photos...:)

• Upvote 1

I am glad that your father enjoyed the images @Norrie in all likely-hood the HSDR that he wore would have been British and would have been produced by BMB the Canadian variation that I have shown above was modelled after its British cousin and is near exact copy with only a few small changes in the design...

Regards Mark K  

• Upvote 1