Tomahawk Fighting knife

BULM5

Purchased from a vet this second hand well used Tomahawk knife with knuckle duster handle for my collection, I was surprised to receive a suprisingly good and sturdy fighting knife with a thick and very sharp solid blade, I fitted it with a repro M8 scabbard that I had to dismantle, and shorten by quite a bit, and used the original nylon sheath as sleeve over the scabbard to keep the overall black look, quite satisfied with the job...

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

Edited by BULM5
  • Upvote 1

Very nice,I like these adapted weapons  but I  think they are actually banned in the UK, which is a bit crazy really, its ok to own a military bayonet or commando knife, which were designed for one reason, to kill.as long as you dont take it out in public, but I think that a Knuckle duster is classed as a Specified weapon under Section 141 Criminal Justice Act 1988  and could make you liable to prosecution, , I believe many have been confiscated from private collections,and people prosecuted over the past couple of years, especially if you try to sell one to another person or be in possession of one and trying to sell it, which would make any defence of taking it to an Arms Fair to sell, a clear offence under the act

5 hours ago, Davejb said:

Very nice,I like these adapted weapons  but I  think they are actually banned in the UK, which is a bit crazy really, its ok to own a military bayonet or commando knife, which were designed for one reason, to kill.as long as you dont take it out in public, but I think that a Knuckle duster is classed as a Specified weapon under Section 141 Criminal Justice Act 1988  and could make you liable to prosecution, , I believe many have been confiscated from private collections,and people prosecuted over the past couple of years, especially if you try to sell one to another person or be in possession of one and trying to sell it, which would make any defence of taking it to an Arms Fair to sell, a clear offence under the act

True that there is no doubt about the intended purpose of such a knife and that they are banned in many countries, contrary to a commando dagger or bayonet, which are basically not much different than a normal household knife in the eyes of the law...

19 hours ago, Bill in VA said:

Not to pop your bubble, BULM5, but you do know your Tomahawk knife isn't a military knife by any stretch of the imagination, let alone one from the First World War, right.

http://www.budk.com/Tomahawk-WWI-Black-Trench-Knife-15918

http://www.outdoorstuffs.com/united-cutlery-tomahawk-xl1452-trench-knife-black/

http://www.knifehog.com/tomahawk-wwi-trench-knife-xl1452.html

If you're serious about collecting US military knives and bayonets you really ought to look into acquiring a set of MH Cole's books, US Military Knives (vols. I-VI), or at least his Best of US Military Knives.   The books cost a bit (but then again, all good quality collector-type books do) but it'll save you much grief and money in the long run.

Ignore the ridiculous prices on Amazon from private sellers. Frank Traszka's site: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/books.htm  Micheal Silvey's book, Knives of the United States Military: World War II is a must-have, as are Gary Cunningham’s US Knife Bayonets and Scabbards and his blue book, American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century. I'm also partial to Vince Coniglio's The US M3 Trench Knife of WW2

HTH

Hi Bill, I know my tomahawk knife is not a WW1 item (of course) I never said it was! It is a modern manufacture, used in combat by a mate of mine, who was  serving with the french ''commando de marine'' and who is now working with me in security, all I said is that I purchased it from a vet. I would not mess with an original WW1 LF&C and replace its scabbard...it is a very good fighting knife nonetheless, and I can assure you that similar knives are still used by the military nowadays as private purchase.    

I have a very good collector grade book I would like to add to the list, it is written by Homer M. Brett called ''the military knife and bayonet'', I feel fortunate to have a copy autographed by the author, and for german bayonets, one very good reference book is the excellent ''german sidearms and bayonets'' by Klaus Lubbe...

Fred

On 17/4/2016 at 03:11, Davejb said:

Hi Dave, despite the ban I remember seeing a few on display for sale at the war & peace show few years back (2009) I nearly purchased a very nice genuine LF&C US dagger with knuckle duster handle, but gave up as my budget had already been exceeded, I regret it now...

Yes they are still being sold there but many are faked now, you have to be real careful

1 minute ago, Davejb said:

Yes they are still being sold there but many are faked now, you have to be real careful

oh well, UK is far now, I blew it when I had the chance, no way I can get one of these through the post here as well, the customs would have a fit!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw one for sale couple of weeks ago think it was at Waverley repo £45 but still a nice knife

• 2 months later...

This was the one I had!

Yes, "had", because sold it very quick after people heard I stopped collecting.
Officially not allowed by law in the Netherlands, but surprise, surprise......the best thrill is to own something you are not allowed!

Think that was also what the interested people thought who wanted to buy it!

weapon-US-I2127.JPG

weapon-US-I2127_02.JPG

weapon-US-I2127_03.JPG

weapon-US-I2127_04.JPG

weapon-US-I2127_05.JPG

weapon-US-I2127_06.JPG

weapon-US-I2127_07.JPG

• Upvote 1