The Wrecking Crew - Looting German U-Boats.

Lenny

Well I certainly did,nt know that no German ship or submarine was not designated as a war grave. I thought they came under the the War Graves Commission as a burial site which would make sense. But it seems that it is left open for interpretation and also the individuals morals or whoever dives on them, But blowing them up has to be a desecration of a grave site. If this is the case then why is there none of these so called perveyors of justice within the Archaeology community up in arms about it, They certainly did,nt hold back when Battlefield Recovery was aired and there was full co-operation from the Governments concerned and the WGC. It is.nt as if they have recovered remains and given them a proper burial. Also Customs have clearly stated that removal of items for personal benefit is theft, so why no prosecutions, They have two clear offenders on tape admitting to removing items and taking them home. Another clear case of one rule for some and not others. I,m not even sure a pub classes as a place for displaying relics in these cases. If anything is found on the sea bed away from the wreck, then I think its fair to say preserve it for a museum, but removing a periscope , that means it came from inside the wreck, which in truth ,is a desecration of a burial site