Interesting Camo Painted Mk II HSRAC

Mark K

I purchased this Mk II HSRAC strictly as a curiosity as I really liked the camo pattern and have not seen an example like it before the camo paint looks to have been on this example for some time and I can see legitimate age to the paint with some scuffing and scratches and a little rust poking through here and there in a few places which is evident by the images of the dome and the helmet rim.
So IMO the camo paint has been on it for some time anyway it is sporting a very late model Mk 5 liner and a Mk 4 chinstrap. if nothing else it make for one hell of an interesting display and conversation piece and it displays rather nicely in my collection.
So this does raise the question have any of you gents seen a similar camo pattern used on a tin lid before................

Regards Mark

Picture 3294(1).jpg

Picture 3296(1).jpg

Picture 3299(1).jpg

Picture 3301(1).jpg

Picture 3302(1).jpg

Picture 3304(1).jpg

Picture 3288(1).jpg

Picture 3293(1).jpg

Edited by Mark K

Thats  a pretty unique cammo pattern, never seen one like it

• Upvote 1

Hi Dave thanx for chimbing in it caught my attention right away and to date I can not find a comparable example..

Regards  Mark 

Have you thought about it being Naval., the reason I ask is that the cammo looks a bit like Seagulls with wings, I cant see an Army squaddie doing this pattern

• Upvote 1

Thanx Dave yes I have considered a Navy used helm and there is good period evidence that supports the Mk II HSRAC was used by the Royal Navy into the late 80's so I had considered the Falkland Islands as a possibility ...

Regards Mark 

Yes that is definately a possible explanation and it makes pretty good sense, even so its a damn good talking piece and in very good condition, is there no date on the liner cross piece or on the lift dot

• Upvote 1

Hi Dave yes from.memory I believe the liner is 1976 dated and the donut is dated to 1977...

Regards Mark 

• Upvote 1

So theres every possibility it was later used in the Falklands

The time frame is right Dave and I have even considered the possibility of the Royal Marine's but pretty much every one I have ever talk to that was in the service of the Queen says the same thing no squaddie would have done this as retrabution from the C.S.M./R.S.M. would have been swift...

Regards Mark 

Edited by Mark K