1944 Dated Tan Tropical Mosquitoe Cover

Mark K

I have waited a long time to add an example of one of these tropical covers to my collection and never see them come up for sale in the market place and the few I have seen have been messed with or altered by having the netting removed.
The practice of
 removing the mosquitoes netting from the covers can as well be traced back to war time as many of these were altered by soldiers in the field by removing the netting when it became damaged and or to be used as straight desert and or tropical camo covers by cutting it free.
Purchasing one of these tropical covers that has had the netting removed that has not been resting on a Mk II for eons and or with out direct providence from a vet and or the family of the vet would be a wee bit of a crap shoot though as the thought would always be in the back of my mind as to when the net was actually cut free and of course not to mention the fact that the example has been altered and now is not in it's original configuration.
I have opted to photograph this example as it would have been worn by the soldier serving in the field with the netting tucked up in side the liner and ready to be pulled down at a moments notice if needed to fight off the swarming attack's of the blood thirsty little bastards .
The cover is nicely ink stamped with the manufactures name,date, broad arrow and the war departments stamp and it was pointed out on a different  venue by @Bil4338 that the 
maker would appear to be Blacks of Greenock, near Glasgow, Scotland,.. It as well would appear to have hand written lettering on the exterior of the cover next to one of the four sewn panels of cloth thanks for looking all comments and opinions are welcome.

Regards Mark

Picture 3345(1).jpg

Picture 3348(1).jpg

Picture 3333(1).jpg

Picture 3330(1).jpg

Picture 3339(1).jpg

Picture 3337(1).jpg

Picture 3338(1).jpg

Picture 3334(1).jpg

• Upvote 2

Got to agree, I,ve never seen one before either, but its in terrific condition and well marked

• Upvote 1

Many thanx Gents I am still on the hunt for a straight up tropical cover to add to my collection but they are ultra rare on the ground and consequently very pricey as previously mentioned one has to be diligent when searching out these covers as 99% of the ones I have come across have either had the mesh period removed and or by the seller to try and increase there value as the price difference between the two is considerable ..If one looks at the example seen below you can see the tell tale signs of the remnants of the net this was offered up as a period original tan tropical cover on a dealer's site last year.

Regards Mark 

GBMKIICov-d.jpg

GBMKIICov-c.jpg

GBMKIICov-a.jpg

• Upvote 1