No.5 Mk.1 Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine

lach470

Hey gang! Quick question....I have a jungle carbine like the one pictured below. It is dated June 1944 and I have the bayonet and scabbard for it. 

I know the bayonet and scabbard are not easy to find and I acquired it separately - paying about $200 I think for it. (I could be wrong, it was a few years ago). 

Anyways - I have a friend who is interested in purchasing it from me. Just wondering what a fair price would be. I have heard that WW2 dated examples command a bit more money than the 46-47 made rifles. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It has the sling for it as well and has no issues (no rust, pitting, broken wood,....)

Lee-Enfield-No.5-MkI-Sides.png

• Upvote 1

I've seen them go for around £450 to £550 mate. They shot like kak but they look lovely.

• Field Marshall
53 minutes ago, BryanDavidson said:

I've seen them go for around £450 to £550 mate. They shot like kak but they look lovely.

I'm not sure what you mean by shot like kak. Never found them an issue, they kicked like a mule but apart from that, fine. I only shot them occasionally, whereas my No4 Mk2 was my normal long range target rifle.

Just now, Lenny said:

I'm not sure what you mean by shot like kak. Never found them an issue, they kicked like a mule but apart from that, fine. I only shot them occasionally, whereas my No4 Mk2 was my normal long range target rifle.

Meant like the wandering zero. caused the sight to always need a fix.

• Field Marshall

It was designed for closer jungle combat, not long range. To be honest most infantrymen had problems hitting things further than 100-200 yards anyway.

The recoil is a brute, and that could affect the sights, but I never found that when I shot it. Saying that, I shot on a target range, not combat. ;)

About $500 is a fair price in the US depending on bore condition etc. No clue regarding the bayo. Jungle carbines do look sexy!!

Rob, is your buddy a collector or a shooter? I ask only because mine has the bayo lug removed and would love to replace it with an unmolested one. 

I have not used mine in years, but I never recall having any issues with it, I hit what I aim at. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys for the input. The buddy is a collector and a shooter! LOL! Yes: it does kick like a mule when fired. I like it a lot. Pardon the pun: but I haven't 'pulled the trigger' on whether to sell it or not. I do like it quite a bit and it's my only WW2 era rifle. 

Cheers!

Rob 

• Upvote 1

My uncle used to tell me that these were a pain in the butt to use, kicked like a mad donkey, and only accurate at short range especially in combat conditions, and he was in Burma, so used these nearly all the time, some guys even dislocated their shoulders after prolonged fighting with them, also he said that some had problems with loose magazines. I would think that an original war time model would fetch approx £500-650, especially a good shooter with bayonet and scabbard, but it really depends on the current market