Romans !,'What have they ever done for us ?'

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

To quote my favourite Monty Python film lol  :D.

Have just returned from a few days up in Northumberland staying on Hadrians Wall,and managed to get a bit of walking in with the little one on the Housesteads section,stopping off for an MRE lunch ;).It is the first time I have done any section of the wall and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking.If you haven't visited pencil it in,you won't be disappointed  :D.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely photos mate, beautiful weather, hope you had a cracking time :) 

I have a friend and his family I visit every other year and they do the same. He lives in   Accrington Lancashire I'd like to go to the wall and detect if we can! :)

Edited by dagodave
spelling

Guest Fred Karno's Army

@dagodaveWe are lucky we stay in a cottage four miles from the road,it's literally in the middle of nowhere and this time I asked the owners that very question and they said I could by all means,they own over 40 acres which include a Roman quarry and part of an aqueduct so we are back there in July,and this time Mr metal detector is coming  :D.

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Dang I hope you post what you find! Maybe ask Lenny if it's ok but I'd love to see what you dig up around there! ;)

• Upvote 1

We're talking about coming over in August I'm not sure if I can pull it off tho. If I do I'd love to go there!

• Field Marshall
10 hours ago, dagodave said:

Dang I hope you post what you find! Maybe ask Lenny if it's ok but I'd love to see what you dig up around there! ;)

We've got a rust and relics area, feel free to post in there.. ;)

• Upvote 3

Metaldetecting there should be very exciting!In the f@cking "country" I woke up in one morning (read the Peeple's Republik of Bananitaly) metaldetecting in such an area would be a no-no (letting Pompei fall to pieces and Dutch hooligans destroy Roman fountains is legit,tho!)...if you guys go metaldetecting there and that's legal please post your finds!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 2

Superb pics..next time you are up in Gods country, , I'll take you to the Antonine Wall, I've got shooting rights on a farm, that contains a Roman Fort....you can spend ages looking round...:)

• Upvote 1

Wow Norrie that is really neat would love to see pictures if you go up there to shoot one day! Wish I was over there for a few months to metal detect you guys are lucky. Oldest coin I found in MI is a 1797 Cartwheel penny.

Wow, absolutely gorgeous views. I would be in heaven for sure. I am finally at a point in my life where I realize, it is not always about the money and the go go go of suburban life. I do miss our family property almost daily.

Guest Fred Karno's Army
6 hours ago, pylon1357 said:

Wow, absolutely gorgeous views. I would be in heaven for sure. I am finally at a point in my life where I realize, it is not always about the money and the go go go of suburban life. I do miss our family property almost daily.

After Iraq I have a different perspective on life.

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, dagodave said:

Wow Norrie that is really neat would love to see pictures if you go up there to shoot one day! Wish I was over there for a few months to metal detect you guys are lucky. Oldest coin I found in MI is a 1797 Cartwheel penny.

Here you go,taken a few years ago, immediately above the Roman Fort is an Iron Age Fort...I'm not allowed to shoot directly on the area, but the surrounds are fine...:) I had a mate doing metal detecting on the surrounds, and he only came up with Victorian junk....:)

roman fort 4.jpg

roman fort 8.jpg

roman fort 9.jpg

roman fort1.jpg

roman fort2.jpg

roman fort3.jpg

roman fort5.jpg

roman fort6.jpg

roman fort7.jpg

roman fort10.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Excellent stuff, really virtually on our doorstep too.great history...

So glad to see even the slightest stone preserved like that!Here's what happening in POMPEI.....and to think that they almost ate the Pink Floyd alive when they played there!Those were the days when the Mafia and the left-wing "government" hadn't joined yet..... to sell out the "nation"!

Pompei2.png

Pompei3.png

Pompei4.png

Pompei5.png

Pompei7 (1).png

Pompei7.png

Edited by Manu Della Valle