1945 MkIV British helmet with Royal Artillery flash

PmMeYourCats

On 2/11/2016 at 19:14, BryanDavidson said:

Picked up for £15 on ebay. No liner but they are easy enough to find.

12741988_193066247719943_2872542682169745266_n (1).jpg

Not bad at all for 15 quid.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

Not bad at all for 15 quid.

Aye man, ebay can be handy every so often.

2 minutes ago, BryanDavidson said:

Aye man, ebay can be handy every so often.

Seems so.

• Major General

What's the flash then? Looks like a lopsided RA one.

good luck finding a liner for that though, a bit thin on the ground these days...

• Upvote 1

On 23/02/2016 at 00:10, Bill said:

What's the flash then? Looks like a lopsided RA one.

good luck finding a liner for that though, a bit thin on the ground these days...

I think it is RA. Someone said it may be a certain para related flash but honestly I have no idea. Don't plan on grabbing a liner for it. It's perched on the shelf and the inside isn't seen.

My best mate served as a Para in NI in 74, he states that there were some paras in the early days that wore wartime issues Mk IVs but these all had Plastic visors bolted on and could have had a handpainted flash added but  according to his research documents , wartime paras did not wear  them nor were there any other regiments "associated to the paras" that did, all "paras" including glider pilots wore the accepted para helmets, therefore I think this flash may well not be related to the regiment and as this lid has no bolt holes it cannot have been used in NI either

• Upvote 1

At one time these were so common but seemed to be overlooked, I suppose the reason was that they were mainly used post war and into the 70s, along with newer made turtles, but quite a few of my elder cousins who did their National Service kept their helmets and later gave me them, so I ended up with a mixture of 1944 and later dated turtles ,all in all 5 helmets, which did,nt go down well with mum as I had about 30 British helmets already, I wish I had kept them all as some were ARP, Fire, Ambulance and Combat , some even had divisional flashes the prices of which have rocketted  in the last few years, I even had a helmet that was supposed to have come from a fire watcher at Buckingham Palace Mews, now that would be worth a fair bit if correct

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Davejb said:

At one time these were so common but seemed to be overlooked, I suppose the reason was that they were mainly used post war and into the 70s, along with newer made turtles, but quite a few of my elder cousins who did their National Service kept their helmets and later gave me them, so I ended up with a mixture of 1944 and later dated turtles ,all in all 5 helmets, which did,nt go down well with mum as I had about 30 British helmets already, I wish I had kept them all as some were ARP, Fire, Ambulance and Combat , some even had divisional flashes the prices of which have rocketted  in the last few years, I even had a helmet that was supposed to have come from a fire watcher at Buckingham Palace Mews, now that would be worth a fair bit if correct

Yeah British helmets used to be cheap as chips only a few years ago. Mental prices now.

• Upvote 1