LW "Wraparound" Leather/Canvas Tropical High Boots

Manu Della Valle

These LW boots come with a rather interesting story.They had been found decades  ago in Tuscany and would have been as left by the Germans in a house there if not for my strupidity;they had been blackened by the owner with a burnt cork to make them look like another,boring pair of knobelbecker (or even to camouflage them!) but I decided that a clean pair of tropical boots would have looked smarter than a pair of tropical boots blackened with soot,therefore I carefuly scrubbed the canvas with soap and a brush for the best part of a week to clean them as much as I could without damaging the leather!This F-up is second only to what a young bud did to an M35 WSS helmet found in Genoa,  when he decided that he didn't like the runes because he liked  WH lids most and scraped them (the runes!) off!That helmet was the mute testimony of an important part of Italian history,having been found in an attic in Genoa a few yards from the very place where Gen. Meinhold signed the surrender of the German Forces,Genoa was the first city in Europe whose people had the German surrendering to them before the US troops could phisycally enter the city (see first photo),followed by Turin,Milan,Florence,Neaples and Rome where the Italian people "dislodged" the Germans well before the arrive of the Allies!
But I digress,back to the boots;they're in very good conditions,come with their original leather strings and inside one of them I've found a lone Arty shoulderboard from a fliegerbluse!
Hope you like them
Cheers
Manu

100b7682.jpg

Edited by Manu Della Valle
SOOT and not SOOTH,you bloody autocorrector!
  • Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It's nice to see these in close up detail,often seen them in photos but nothing compares to up close and colour another 'Manutastic' item ;) :D,lurvly :x.

Thank you Dermot,and thank you for not calling  me all the names under the sun for cleaning them...I was too young!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

It's nice to see these in close up detail,often seen them in photos but nothing compares to up close and colour another 'Manutastic' item ;) :D,lurvly :x.

Glad you've appreciated that,mate!

Cheers

Manu

Personally I think they look a whole lot better cleaned. I know theres this unwritten rule about cleaning original items, but sometimes theres an exception, especially in order to correct someones "mistakes", you,ve now produced these boots as in original order, as best you can, thats preserving as far as I,m concerned, and you did a damn fine job. One thing that does worry me though, The Germans had to be told their left from their right as indicated by the heel steels, no wonder the Officer in the Longest Day got it wrong!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Davejb said:

One thing that does worry me though, The Germans had to be told their left from their right as indicated by the heel steels, no wonder the Officer in the Longest Day got it wrong!!!!!!!!

xDxDxD

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2016 at 12:40, Mav352 said:

Another cracking post @Manu Della Valle, thanks for sharing :)

Thank you for stopping and watching! ^_^

Fantastic, even if blackened!  I had a Luftwaffe tropical belt w/early buckle that had also been blackened on the front.  Found out it was commonly done upon transfer to the continent.  I never tried to clean it.  Wonder if they wore these also with the Rundbundhosen?  Would be very hot!  Any examples of the tropical ankle boots?

Steve

• Upvote 1

Thanks @ahrtal!I'd gave left them alone but you know the saying about spilt milk!IMHO they could be worn with any style of trousers and no...I don't have low boots anymore!Prolly @DAK D,our resident DAK Man,owns a pair!

Cheers

Manu 

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Manu Della Valle & @ahrtal,

I do happen to know where there's an original "Bata" 1941 made second pattern pair of ankle boots. :)

D

And I know where are my ex TWO pairs of Ottoderschuhmaker Tropical ankle boots!>:(>:(>:(>:(

Most low quarter boots, anyway, were worn to nubs after the war.  If ya' got 'em wear 'em!  I remember a guy telling me about his father converting his panzer wrap into a suit coat after the war.:$   It appears easier to find the riding, and standard marching boots.  Those probably were not worn that much after the war in urban settings. :P

• Upvote 1

:/  I can't......I am supposed to be getting rid of stuff!  I am almost 68 years old, and pyramid costs too much.  I could never cremate this stuff with me!

On 4/30/2016 at 13:37, Manu Della Valle said:

One thing that does worry me though, The Germans had to be told their left from their right as indicated by the heel steels, no wonder the Officer in the Longest Day got it wrong!!!!!!!!

I believe that was for the factory worker's or cobbler's benefit while putting them together.  The right and left heel irons look very much alike, but aren't. 

• Upvote 1

You're correct Ahratal but was Davejb who said that!Jeeeensy is obsessed by M24 SHG and I've always been obsessed by original WW2 German footwear.I had 300 pairs and counting at a certain point and I've had the chance to study many rare,never-seen before styles!
The right and left "beschlag" were different even if they may look identical,even putting one on top of the other to compare sizes.The Germans were masters in turning even the most simple thing into a chore!
To end up on a funny note I've got this Argie friend who was a drill instructor in the Navy.He told me that many times the young recruits,often campesinos.couldn't tell the right from left when marching so he made them shave their right leg and............."Con pelo....sin pelo...con pelo...sin pelo.." (hair...no hair...hair...no hair...)

Sorry, Manu.  Realized it too late---Didn't go to original comment Davejb made. Like the DI's solution.  My DI had me do cadence in Mickey Mouse's voice until other recruits got it right!  Guess they got tired of my falsetto! :soldier-with-gun:

Steve

• Upvote 1