USAAF dump site - My first ever dogtag!

Steve T

Hi all

Went to the USAAF dump site permission of mine on Tuesday this week for a bit of a poke about. I always forget how deep the dump layer is there!! An hour of digging before I even got down deep enough, and then it was just rusty tin cans. Well, almost. I won't bother you with the usual finds......drop tank pipes, cartridge cases, beer bottles etc..... but it was almost one of the least productive trips to the site in the 4 years I've been digging it, but I had a couple of nice bits to make it worthwhile. Then I had a totally awesome find. For the first time ever, I actually got an American dogtag!!! I was super excited and it has cleaned up nicely. Only slight disappointment was that the guy doesn't appear to have been on the records for the fighter group that was based there :(:( Oh well......beggars can't be choosers and it is, after all, my very first American dogtag :)

The little half pint glass, (found in a pile of about 20 of them), was the only one not broken. It isn't marked in any way but I like to keep these as, seeing as I know where it came from, it is amazing to think a pilot could have drunk from this just before going out on a mission.......I love the history of ground dug relics!!!
DSC08649.JPG
My second ammunition roller from this site....
DSC08650.JPG
a chunk of P51, (can't quite make out the prefix code but has an ANA inspection stamp),
DSC08653.JPG
DSC08654.JPG
DSC08655.JPG
a nice little cobalt 'Noxzema' jar,
DSC08651.JPG
and the dogtag. I've also included a screen shot of the enlistment records for the gentleman to whom it belonged :) It is difficult to believe, but after very nearly 20 years of digging nothing but WW2 relics in the UK, this is the very first American dogtag I've found. I've found loads of British ones, and even German ones on old POW camp sites, but this is my very first American one. VERY pleased :):)
DSC08652.JPG

Thomas Burns record.jpg

Laters!

Steve T
  • Upvote 4