Polish WZ-63 Airborne Helmet

Mark K

Polish - DDR- NVA -WZ-63 Paratroop Helmet
I had been wanting to add a Polish WZ-63 parachutist helmet to my collection for some time and had been biding my time until I could source an example that IMO showed some genuine usage as shown in the example 
below this particular example was reportedly used by the Polish Airborne forces it is my understanding is that if they were issued and used by the Polish Military they should be well stamped on the interior and if they were exported and used by the former East German Army (DDR - NVA) they will be devoid of all interior stampings and or markings.
The helmet it self is in nice worn condition showing normal age wear and has a nice patina about it and is complete with the exception of the padded chin cup which were often discarded by the troops.
These helmets were manufactured in Poland for their army, but they proved very popular with the East German Army and other services and so were exported and were standard issue for the East German Paratroop unit: 40 Fallschirmjaegerbataillon as well.
This unit was the only paratroop unit in the East German Army and numbered about 600 soldiers in total .
There is also period evidence in the form of images that shows that these helmets were also adopted and used by the East German Special Police,Border Police as dispatch riders alike.
These particular helmets as well found them selves being used abroad in the Middle East and were reportedly used by Iraqi forces as well.

The last image shown was taken during a joint Polish,Canadian, US exercise in Poland in 2015 and still shows the WZ -63 still in use and I recently seen another image that shows it was still being used as late as April 28 2016...
Regards Mark

Picture 3805(1).jpg

Picture 3802(1).jpg

Picture 3803(1).jpg

Picture 3807(1).jpg

Picture 3810(1).jpg

Picture 3808(1).jpg

Picture 3809(1).jpg

image_thumbnail.png

• Like 1

• Major General

One of my least favourite steelies, mainly because it's shape is so nondescript, nevertheless that's a nice example Mark.quite unbelievable they're still being used to this day too!

• Upvote 1

Hi @Bil4338 I could not agree more they are a fairly unattractive but I collect para helmets and the well used condition on this one just spoke of heavy field use so I thought it would fit in well with the other Airborne and Para helms in my collection...

Regards Mark  

• Like 1

• Major General

I've found that even if a helmet is so unattractive to the eye, even so it's still a collectable in its own right and if it shows genuine use then that's a bonus.'cos as sure as eggs is eggs, if left to someone else, that item will become very scarce very soon! Happily, I got my own example many moons ago.

• Like 1