Afrika Korps cuff title

Steve T

Weird how things happen really. This happened a couple of years back now but still amazes me.

You would think that, of all the people in the world, your mother would know what your hobby is. I assumed she did, especially as she had to put up with my incessant model making during my childhood and my insistence on showing her my museum whenever something new gets added to it, (frequently!!).

Imagine my surprise when she turns up at my house one day, has a cup of tea, chats about this and that and, just as she's leaving, reaches into her handbag and says 'Oh.....nearly forgot. I brought these for you. Thought you may like them'.

I stared in disbelief at the cuff title and little booklet she handed me.

'Where the HELL did you get these from??'

'Remember Mr Lewis,. the old chap I used to look after? He had them. He fought in Africa and took the cuff thingy off a POW'.

'Mr Lewis? That was 10 years ago! How long have you had them?'

'About ten years. He gave them to me for you but I forgot about them. Just found them when I was clearing some stuff out of the attic'

:o:o:o 

I could say no more.........

Amazing.

Anyway, here they are. I have them framed on the wall in my museum. The cuff title is in superb condition and, I have been assured by numerous experts, (I'm expert in weapons and ordnance, not badges and cuff titles!!), it is an original. The little cartoon book is rather humorous :)

DSC08656.JPG

DSC08657.JPG

• Upvote 4

• Field Marshall

Amazing story.... :D

• Upvote 1

I noticed this when I came around but I didn't ask. Fantastic!

• Upvote 1

Yes I saw this, and theres no doubt its a real one, you jammy git

• Upvote 2

Hi @Steve T

Your title is a fine and original variant Afrikakorps cuff title.

You don't know how happy I am to see more evidence that these disputed titles are indeed original.

Here is one attached to the photo album of a Signals unit member that was killed or captured at El Alamein, but this was not enough evidence for our academic friend. 

The extra photos are of another original title in my collection and the highlighted areas in red are the reason these titles are regarded as fakes. I believe the confusion is due to the diamond back/tartan weave fakes that are copies of this original variation.

D

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_4055.thumb.JPG.05c812b60a1569d7bef90708c9b8422b.JPG

IMG_4060.thumb.JPG.18d2f7a798868b4e0ad25e70f4becb0e.JPG

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

Well the one he shows as authentic in that paper matches mine on the front and back. :):):)

Hi @Steve T,

From the photos you have posted I can see your title matches the variant title he disputes and not the standard one that everyone trusts..

perhaps it's just the photos you have posted, but the R&P look like the variant version to my eyes?

Afrikakorps cuff title. ver1 std.JPG

Std Afrikakorps cuff title..JPG

AK Variant title.JPG

IMG_4055.thumb.JPG.05c812b60a1569d7bef90708c9b8422b.JPG

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

To be honest with you there is one thing that I know for definite. The veteran brought it back from Africa, along with lots of other bits. I can see similarities between mine and the so-called-fake, but also between mine and the authentic one. I posted numerous pictures of the front and back on WRF some years back, and everyone agreed it was original. Not one person cast any doubt on it. That's good enough for me.

Oh, and @Davejb has seen it in person and he is in no doubt. :)

• Upvote 2

@Steve T,

I consider your title to be a fine veteran bring back DAK title with provenance. The variant titles are not fake, but the tartan weave/ diamond back copied the variant version. I have been collecting Afrika Korps/Tropical items since 1989 I think I can say with certainty that your title is original.

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Dak :) Just sent you a PM :)

Here is my $90 Variant purchase. Great story @Steve T and glad to see it. I owe @DAK D for helping me find this one!

ak1.jpg

ak2.jpg

ak3.jpg

ak4.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Major General

It's very satisfying when you not only get stuff for free, but that it comes with ultimate provenance!

great titles BTW, interesting to see the different nuances pointed out too.

• Upvote 1