Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover

Morning gents I added this Mk II to my collection some time back the helmet body was produced by General Steel Wares (G.S.W.) and is dated to 1942 and is sporting a 42 dated VMC liner in a size of 7 1/4 .
I have a few examples in my collection of 42 dated G.S.W's with the A P steel lot batch code already but I did not have an example of a Canadian anti Gas cover and so have been biding my time and waiting to find an example that still bore its original cover of course there is know way one can be 100% positive it has been on this Mk II since the war but this particular example has adhered it self and is now stuck to the helmet body so IMO has been on this Mk II for some time now .
I will not be attempting to remove it and it shows definite age,wear,cuts,scrapes and patina and does seem to tick all the right boxes it is nicely worn around the edges of the rim and has broken through in a few locations and shows a few small scuffs in the material from being set down on the dome.
The anti Gas Cover is constucted of a two tone green and brown wax covered light canvas like material and is well marked and was produced in 1942 by ARISTO in Gault Ontario and bares the C-/I\ Canadian War time government acceptance stamp.
There are period contemporary images that show these covers were indeed used and field modified and the anti gas covers can be seen worn by members of the Canadian Navy to help protect them from the elements while performing there duties on board ships and landing craft alike as well as being worn by Canadian and British soldiers alike in the field in the ETO to help ward off the rains and foul weather some of these were indeed modified by removing the cape and then further used as a straight camo helmet covers as well.

Regards Mark

Picture 3708(1).jpg

Picture 3709(1).jpg

Picture 3710(1).jpg

Picture 3711(1).jpg

Picture 3713(1).jpg

Picture 3714(1).jpg

Picture 3715(1).jpg

slide_375244_4384144_free.jpg

ukscottlarge.jpg

• Upvote 2

Very nice addition to any collection. I am quite partial to the Canadian gear. Once I finally have a room to call my own (was supposed to happen at our last move) I will be able to dig my stuff out of the boxes and finally do a correct display. I love seeing Canadian kit   here. 

Guest Fred Karno's Army

That last picture looks like the ETO judging by how well they are wrapped up lol,what's that badge on the first guys BD pocket ?,looks like a dog at first glance o.O and is he wearing a jerkin under the BD ?.

Thanx gents the top image if memory serves me correct is of members of the Canadian Navy rescuing soldiers during the D-Day invasion just off of Juno Beach but I will have to confirm that ... And the bottom image is of D Troop No'3 Commando I wonder if the patch on his pocket could be a little polor bear- 49th ( West Riding ) Infantry Division. And they are guarding a suspected 'Quisling' collaborator shortly after the raid of March third and fourth on the Lofoten Islands off of the Norwegian coast just north of the Arctic Circle. It achieved a good measure of destruction of German ships and fish factory oil and it gave free passage to the UK to over 300 Norwegian volunteers and a few Germans and Quislings. It was, however, most notable for giving a great boost to flagging morale within the ranks of the Commandos and later the country as news of the raid was made public.

Regards Mark

Edited by Mark K