WW1 British Helmet

This helmet now belongs to Norrie and it's time for him to post it now!! :)

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I have no opinions on it whatsoever ten a penny,very common, in fact I have several even keep eggs in one. How much .......drool ......lol......:x

Honestly really nice that mate !.Not a raw edge but N.I.C.E !  :x:x:x

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

9 minutes ago, Ham & Jam said:

I have no opinions on it whatsoever ten a penny,very common, in fact I have several even keep eggs in one. How much .......drool ......lol......:x

Hi @Ham & Jam,

Were the eggs golden? xD

There is no price yet sorry

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Lol,no mate my wife sits on the golden ones ;).

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Your Mk I Brodie has a lovely patina with almost all of the finish still visible on the exterior and interior of the shell and what information on wartime producers I could come up with suggest that the capital D  means it was manufactured by  J. Dixon & Sons Ltd of Sheffield...
These can be found painted in either a pail blue grey,green,Khaki brown and or tan.
Does the liner bare the War Office Pattern red stamp and the patent number 11803/16 ? and by the look of the materials used in the construction of the basil in the headband support it was manufactured from cordite cloth in stead of real leather this in conjunction with the addition of a rubber ring set in the dome pad which is held firmly in place by the leather strap should date this particular Mk I to no earlier than April of 1917 and I believe it was in and  around June of 1917 before the second round of modification and the rubber rings started to be installed .                                                                       

Regards Mark

Edited by Mark K
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Mark K said:

Your Mk I Brodie has a lovely patina with almost all of the finish still visible on the exterior and interior of the shell and what information on wartime producers I could come up with suggest that the capital D  means it was manufactured by  J. Dixon & Sons Ltd of Sheffield...
These can be found painted in either a pail blue grey,green,Khaki brown and or tan.
Does the liner bare the War Office Pattern red stamp and the patent number 11803/16 ? and by the look of the materials used in the construction of the basil in the headband support it was manufactured from cordite cloth in stead of real leather this in conjunction with the addition of a rubber ring set in the dome pad which is held firmly in place by the leather strap should date this particular Mk I to no earlier than April of 1917 and I believe it was in and  around June of 1917 before the second round of modification and the rubber rings started to be installed .                                                                       

Regards Mark

Hi @Mark K,

Thank you for all the information on this particular Brodie, it's great to get some confirmation on this helmet especially the shell maker, as I could not find any information when I looked in the past.

The liner is very fragile and I cant find the War Office stamp at all, but I was told that it was no good without it and that is why I wanted some opinions before I sell it.

Regards,

D

Edited by DAK D

@DAK D may I ask the source of your  information as I have never heard this before it is my understanding that the War Office Pattern red stamp and the patent number 11803/16 will not be found on any of the liners pre-dating October 31 1916..But I personally see nothing that would cause me to think that this is not an original un-messed with Mk I...Here are a few images of one from my collection for comparative sake on the liner, chinstrap, basil and cordite cloth ...

Regards Mark    

$_57 (41)(2).JPG

$_57 (39).JPG

Picture 2998.jpg

Picture 2995(1).jpg

Picture 2996(1).jpg

Picture 2997(1).jpg

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Gorgeous lid... :D

• Major General

DAK D, A very lovely lid indeed, although not strictly a true Brodie, they were the original rimless helmets first devised and issued to the troops.somehow the Brodie name gets applied to all British WW1 helmets!

yours is in excellent overall condition, the liner looks fine but then it's not in my grubby sweaty hands!

...alas...¬¬

Mark, yours is very nice also, a great looking combat used example, I love these types just as much as minty ones, no favouritism from me!

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

DAK D, A very lovely lid indeed, although not strictly a true Brodie, they were the original rimless helmets first devised and issued to the troops.somehow the Brodie name gets applied to all British WW1 helmets!

yours is in excellent overall condition, the liner looks fine but then it's not in my grubby sweaty hands!

...alas...¬¬

Mark, yours is very nice also, a great looking combat used example, I love these types just as much as minty ones, no favouritism from me!

Hi @Bil4338,

Yes I agree, it's not a true Brodie and the name has become a generic term for all British helmets from the WW1 period.

I am glad you like it :)

D

• Upvote 1

Thanx very Much for the kind words @Bil4338 and @DAK D and yes calling all WW I British helmets Brodies is a nasty play on words but I am working on it ;)...lol... I don't want to bud into D's thread and steal anything from his fine minty example but perhaps just one image of the exterior of my Mk I and I will start a thread on it down the road as time permits...

Regards Mark

Picture 2990(1).jpg

• Upvote 3

Hi @Mark K,

Your WW1 Helmet deserves it's own thread it's a really super example.

D

• Upvote 3