Finally!

Steve T

As I am sure most of you know, I have been digging WW2 relics for nearly 20 years now. I very rarely buy anything. Why bother when I can dig stuff for free?!?!?!

However, every now and again I will do the odd trade here and there to get an item to enhance my collection.

A few years back now, one of your run-of-the-mill normal metal detectorists got in touch. He had a load of ground dug solid shot artillery shells that he didn't want, but before he took them down the tip, thought he'd see if I wanted them. Despite living 50 miles away, I arrived at his door ten minutes later and duly took possession of said shells. Nice lot they were too.....75mm, 17lber, 2lber and 6lbers. I had been searching for a WW2 dated 6lber shell case for some years and this just intensified my search. The ones I found were either butchered, (chopped off at the shoulder) or worse, turned into trench art. Others were up for sale but the sellers wouldn't consider a trade. I was getting very close to putting my hand in my pocket when a fellow relic hunter said he'd got one and would trade for it.

So, I finally got my WW2 dated 6lber shell case, (without money changing hands), and I have now painted and married one of the ground dug projectiles with the shell case. Even though the drive band has the rifling marks, I still love this piece. 

Very chuffed!

DSC08686.JPG

• Upvote 4

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Steve was this guy in Preston ?,I know a guy who turned some up in his scrapyard  last year and I bought some from him,I am sure if I contact him he would have loads left,I bought them at a local market and he was amazed as I paid more than scrap lol !.6lb and 2lb heads but no driving bands.All really nicely marked.Believe they came from Vickers originally at Barrow.

And on further reading realise you mean the case :$,exit stage left...

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Don't exit......give me his details!