Third Pattern Combat Worn Tropical Tall Boots

DAK D

These are the third and final version in the evolution of German army tropical boots. This particular pair are nicely named in each boot and they have clearly been worn in combat.

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 2

If a man can be in love with an object, these boots are it,lol. Thanks for sharing @DAK D! :)

• Upvote 2

On 08/05/2016 at 05:19, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

If a man can be in love with an object, these boots are it,lol. Thanks for sharing @DAK D! :)

@Afrikakorpsrat64,

I am happy you like them, but I would not go that far :)

D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mav352 said:

I'll just go wipe the dribble of my shirt @DAK D:D

Be careful tropical shirts are worth money :D

I am happy you like the boots.

D

• Upvote 2

Beautiful pair and (probably)period re-nailed:x:x:x!The heels "beschlag" and the five-sided hobnails are typical of very early footwear and of re-nailed boots!I LOVE this pair for it's seen its share of action and IMHO it's seen quite a lot!The soles of these boots were either covered with tiny steel "scales" similar to the ones found on the soles of some FJ jumpboots,6-sided hobnails (5-sided would be OK but WATCH OUT because there are a lot of BEAUTIFULLY DECEIVING Czech copies or Swedish "civvies" made by Salamander that are 99,99999999999% identical to Wartime LW/WH Tropical high boots and whose soles are covered with "universal" 5-sided hobnails found on eBay by the thousands...the difference being their size !) or left devoid of nails.
@DAK D....you can see any number stamped on the heels' irons?IIRC there should be  "5" or a "6"!
Cheers
Manu
P.S.;IF they've been renailed (and that would have 101% done BEFORE May 8th 1945!) that wouldn't detract THE SLIGHTEST from this pair of stunning boots!:x:x:x:x

Hi @Manu Della Valle,

I am happy you like them Manu :)

They have definitely been re-nailed and interestingly they had metal cleats on the side at one time on the side of the heels and soles, although there's only one left remaining now.

The following photos are typical nail applications on tropical boots when they left the factory, but many were altered in the field. Both early pairs have no heel plate and that is not standard, but it obviously happened.

1/ Third pattern made in 1942

2/ Second pattern made in 1941

3/ First pattern made in 1940

D

3rd.jpg

2nd.jpg

1st.JPG

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 2

Well,I'll tell you Dermot...say you've got those three pairs and I'll hate you forever... I MEAN THAT!

• Upvote 2

I've noticed the signs on the sides and I'm not surprised the least for the "Kompanie Schuster" could comply with the requests of the single soldier,providing they were not too "strange" of course!In this ccase the owner of the boots may have been a soldier walking over rocky terrain and needed some kind of protection/gripping added,who kknows?
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Well,I'll tell you Dermot...say you've got those three pairs and I'll hate you forever... I MEAN THAT!

Hi @Manu Della Valle,

No I don't,  but the third pattern ones that are dated 1942 used to be in my collection, they now reside in Italy. The second pattern tall boots sold for $5000 recently. I turned them down at that price :grenade:

I had the first pattern pair, but I sent them back, as they were damaged in the post.

Regards,

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

I've noticed the signs on the sides and I'm not surprised the least for the "Kompanie Schuster" could comply with the requests of the single soldier,providing they were not too "strange" of course!In this ccase the owner of the boots may have been a soldier walking over rocky terrain and needed some kind of protection/gripping added,who kknows?
Cheers
Manu

Hi @Manu Della Valle

Perhaps he was in the Gebergisjager in Tunisa or Italy?

D

1 minute ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Manu Della Valle

Perhaps he was in the Gebergisjager in Tunisa or Italy?

D

Could be, Dermot!Where I live was full of Germans of all Branches,WH,LW,KM,WSS,Polizei but there wasn't a GJ in sight for exactly 34 kms .The guys who patrolled the hills a couple of miles from where I live were WSS,WH,and KM/Kustenartillerie personnel and believe me..the goat trails here are as rocky as they can be,so a good pair of Bergschuhe would have been HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and much desired !
The owner could have been a GJ but he could as well been a "normal" soldier needing reinforced boots!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

Hi @Manu Della Valle

Here are some extra photos that show typical German markings on the sole and inside of the boots. If there were any markings on the heel plates they are not evident anymore.

D

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Love them!:x

Dermot...the number "5"(or "6") was stamped where the irons touch the ground and given the wear I doubt that it could still be readable at all!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Love them!:x

Dermot...the number "5"(or "6") was stamped where the irons touch the ground and given the wear I doubt that it could still be readable at all!

Yes that's what I meant mate and the same markings were often stamped on the toe plates as well.

For those that are interested here are some photos of typical Marching boots heel and toe plates.

L6 Marked heel plates Photo credit  : Malcolm Wagner Militaria.

Standard Wartime Heel plates photo : credit Malcolm Wagner Militaria.

Schwelma Toe plates : photo credit Malcolm Wagner Militaria.

D

Malcom Wagner Militaria.jpg

MW M2.jpg

MWM3.jpg

• Upvote 1