US Navy Mk II talker helmet

Mark K

This particular example shows just the right amount of wear and has a nice aged patina about it the interior of the shell is nicely ink marked IMO the radio equipment is period correct from period images I found well I was doing research unfortunately the headphone cross strap is indeed missing and I am having a bugger of a time finding a suitable replacement...  
The M-2 was designed in 1942 and was manufactured by the McCords Radiator Company in Detroit Michigan the helmet body was constructed of non-magnetic Hadefield manganese steel while the rim was produced from a separate piece of magnetic steel the helmet bodies were factory painted in two different colours the first being a khaki green and the other as best I can tell has been identified as a sea blue much like there distant cousin the M-1 cork was applied with in the paint to provide a textured finish the latter of the two factory applied finishes on the helmet body being harder one to source.
The liner is non-removable and is glued into the interior helmet body they were produced by Firestone and B.F. Goodrich and is comprised of a vinyl rubber material the padding is very thick and semi-flexible. 
One can easily make out the channel in the liner that crosses the helmet body from side to side this provides ample clearance to accommodate the wearing of headphones designed for Radiomen and or anyone using shipboard sound-powered phones
The wire clips that hold the leather chin bales in place were produced with brass as it offers some protection from the corrosive nature of salt water and or performing ones duties aboard ship.
The chinstrap was produced of horse leather and the slider-buckles are made of non-corrosive aluminium the chin-cup has had a layer chamois leather added to it to offer a little more comfort to the wearer .

Regards Mark

'''.JPG

''''''''''''''.jpg

'''''.jpg

''''''.jpg

'''''''.jpg

'''''''''''''.jpg

'''''''''''.jpg

''''''''''.jpg

'''''''''.jpg

''''''''.jpg

''''''''''''''''.jpg

'''''''''''''''.jpg

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I love the talker helmets very archaic in design and still used up until not too long ago !,

I will give you a heads up on the strap you have missing mate I have occasionally seen them over here in the uk,and not expensive either   ;).

There were a couple of these at the Ottawa Miltiaria show a week ago. I have always loved these, but have never taken the leap. I don't collect US stuff, so I have zero idea of what I am doing. As I narrow my collecting field even more, I just may have some spare time to learn about these helmets, what to look for and what to avoid. 

• Upvote 1

Many thanks @pylon1357 and @Ham & Jam they are indeed an interesting helmet and have had a remarkably long service life...

And I would be indebted if you happen to come across a strap for sale in the marketplace...

Regards Mark