Mills Bomb query?

Lenny

• Field Marshall

I was at the Argyll and Sutherland HIghlanders Museum today, and on one of their Mills Bombs, it had a warning metal label on the ring similar to what I've seen on a No.68 AT  Anyone know if these were ever issued like that?

large.image.jpeg

At a guess, I would say these were only attached to Mills that were to be fired from the Cup discharger, as it could be forgotten to pull the pin after it was loaded. Although it was,nt a common occurrence, newer troops did actually forget to pull the pin on hand thrown grenades in the heat of fighting

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
3 hours ago, Davejb said:

At a guess, I would say these were only attached to Mills that were to be fired from the Cup discharger, as it could be forgotten to pull the pin after it was loaded. Although it was,nt a common occurrence, newer troops did actually forget to pull the pin on hand thrown grenades in the heat of fighting

And still do Dave ;).

:grenade:

• 2 years later...

the mills never had this tag as the no36m mkI was hand thrown  and rifle launched  by the change of fuze and adding a gas check.

the only tagged mills was for the boobytrap setup of the no36m mk1 that this one isn't.

this tag was more than likely added by a collector .

• Thanks 1