"Desert" Brodie 1943 dated.

Norrie

Hiya, And the 2nd hat, think the paint is original, doesnt look recent at all...again, in good nick and all there...tho, the elasticity on the chin strap is long gone...:)

DSC_1325.JPG

DSC_1326.JPG

DSC_1327.JPG

DSC_1328.JPG

DSC_1329.JPG

DSC_1331.JPG

DSC_1332.JPG

DSC_1333.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

DSC_1335.JPG

DSC_1336.JPG

• Upvote 3

Hi @Norrie is there a manufactures Mark on the liner perchance....IMHO this Mk II was very probably painted in this color early postwar and it stands a good chance of being an Israeli used helmet and not British issued if it was an army used helm I would expect to see a textured finish to the paint instead of the smooth finish on the helmet body ... And one has to remember that when helmets were over painted this would have been done in the field and not at the factory so there would have been no reason to strip out the liner and components ...This takes nothing away from this helmet at all because if it is indeed an Israeli used helm they are very scarce and hard to source in good condition..

Regards Mark 

dsc06338.jpg.17b4d4f7169d6ded4a4781a3d3e5fbaa.jpg

• Upvote 4

Geez, What a man you are @Mark K, You certainly know your stuff......I take my hat off to you.....  The liner does indeed have a date on it, had to use an LED torch to see it..but once it is seen, its a wonder I missed it...( Need to go to Specsavers)......It says 7, FFI 11 1944....:) 

• Upvote 2

Hi @Norrie,

Well your new "Tommy helmet" was made way too late for North Africa and I agree with Mark K the finish would not be like that. I have seen early Mkii desert helmets painted inside the shell, but it was not common at all. The main method was to use a non reflective tan/buff shade of paint, sometimes mixed with sand on the outer shell, but gloss buff paint was used early on in the campaign.  

D

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @DAK D, I'm loving all this info from you chaps...:) 

So, I take it we are looking at a post war Israeli helmet then?? 

Sooperb, as my uncle Robin was in the Paras in Palestine from 1945-48.....

• Upvote 3

Hi @Norrie,

I don't know very much about post WW2 used British helmets, but I think Mark K's opinion is correct :)

D

• Upvote 3

• Major General

Just seen this...I have to agree with Mark's prognosis. I too thought Israeli re-issue immediately I saw it.consider also that field overpaints would've kept the liners in so at most the inner rim only would've been overpainted along with the outer shell of course.

a late liner date too, so I don't think it'll be original to the helmet, rather swapped over from another- maybe a Mk.III...the chinstrap also is from either a MK.III or is a postwar replacement for earlier sprung types which didn't stand up to prolonged heavy use.the elastic properties of these later types were also soon negated due to heavy usage, the elastic soon degraded unlike more modern types.

the Simmonds nut and bolt are also late war issued to late made MK.II's and later MK.III's.

Oh, and a final note....it's not a Brodie either!¬¬

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

Just seen this...I have to agree with Mark's prognosis. I too thought Israeli re-issue immediately I saw it.consider also that field overpaints would've kept the liners in so at most the inner rim only would've been overpainted along with the outer shell of course.

Hi @Bil4338,

I agree with you :)

D

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Oh, and a final note....it's not a Brodie either!¬¬

So @Bil4338, gonny put me out of my misery, if its not a Brodie, what is it ??...:)

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2016 at 10:31, Mark K said:

Hi @Norrie is there a manufactures Mark on the liner perchance....IMHO this Mk II was very probably painted in this color early postwar and it stands a good chance of being an Israeli used helmet and not British issued if it was an army used helm I would expect to see a textured finish to the paint instead of the smooth finish on the helmet body ... And one has to remember that when helmets were over painted this would have been done in the field and not at the factory so there would have been no reason to strip out the liner and components ...This takes nothing away from this helmet at all because if it is indeed an Israeli used helm they are very scarce and hard to source in good condition..

Regards Mark 

dsc06338.jpg.17b4d4f7169d6ded4a4781a3d3e5fbaa.jpg

Great Picture @Mark K!

• Major General
15 hours ago, Norrie said:

So @Bil4338, gonny put me out of my misery, if its not a Brodie, what is it ??...:)

It's a Mk.II mate.Brodies are the original 1915 issued rimless helmets before the rimmed MK.I's were made.everyone and his wife refers to WW2 lids as Brodies and it really rips my knitting!¬¬

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

It's a Mk.II mate.Brodies are the original 1915 issued rimless helmets before the rimmed MK.I's were made.everyone and his wife refers to WW2 lids as Brodies and it really rips my knitting!¬¬

Ahhhh, Something else i didn't know !!....Thanks @Bil4338   

I know where yer coming from BTW, I reload my ammo for shooting, and get really cheesed off with folks talking about Bullet heads,....It's BULLETS !!!! :)