DAK tropical display, a work in progress.

Afrikakorpsrat64

Well, I have acquired my first full size mannequin. I have named him,Ludwig(after Beethoven)and as you can see devoted to the DAK. At present, it is a mix of original and reproduction , aside from the boots and the shirt,all is good. I will swap out the repro stuff as the funds come in an I can afford orig. He could use some tan. There is someone in one of these photo's who is looking for a spanking!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64
  • Upvote 1

I owe @DAK D a great deal for helping me make this display possible. Cheers mate! ;)

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Looks cracking mate but he could do with a spray tan lol ;).Really nice set up !.

TAN THOSE BLOODY KNEES ALREADY!>:(

BKwust3.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, DAK D said:

"Two Types"xD

D

IMG_5813.JPG

I LOVE the Two Types!xD

• Upvote 1

Many ORIGINAL pairs of tropical Y-straps!;)

• Upvote 2

Update on the display photo's. I have added a pair of "At the Front" DAK Y straps ( I just dont have the funds for real ones at this time) Looks much better than with the post war Bundeswehr ones. And YES I KNOW, he still needs a tan on those chicken leg's! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Mice like it too!>:(

Hence, the cat's! lol No mice in my house.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Update on the display photo's. I have added a pair of "At the Front" DAK Y straps ( I just dont have the funds for real ones at this time) Looks much better than with the post war Bundeswehr ones. And YES I KNOW, he still needs a tan on those chicken leg's! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'm replacing that Belt loop D ring with an original shortly.

Thats, Stimpy, in the latest photos. By the way. My Tuxedo cat

• Upvote 1

Hi,
since you would like to have a genuine DAK/Tropical shirt I'd suggest you,if I may,to look for a valid substitute,i.e. a WW2 French Tropical shirt.I had dozens of them but sold them all along the years,yet they can still be found at a fraction of the cost of a genuine DAK shirt.The Germans used these shirts,either after modifying them or straight from the French depots.You can then invest in or other items that would turn your mannequin into a 100% period one!
If you cannot find tropical footwear at a "friendly" price a pair of bergschuhe would fit the bill just as well, as would a pair of Australian ammo boots.
Don't waste your money in replicas,for the dough you've spent on those nice Y-straps and shirt would have bought you a French shirt or a pair of leather Y-straps (they were used in Africa as well) or a pair of genuine bergschuhe.It's not a pointless,gratuitous critic,mind you,just an advice!;)^_^
Cheers
Manu

Hi @Manu Della Valle, thanks! Well, the y straps and shirt cost me less than $60 and I can resell them(to a re enactor) or use them my self while Im camping. Plus Im not doing anything that any museum doesn't do when they cant get an orig. for display, and it is temporary for cosmetic purposes. But yes I am done with repros for this display and will focus on original stuff to replace those that I have. I had much of the original DAK stuff years back in my 40 years of collecting, including several tunics and much field gear. Also some nice tropenhelms, including a neat two tone luftwaffe 1st pattern. Sadly all gone and now the prices are GEEZ!:S

• Upvote 1