British Tank Drivers helmets.

Norrie

Hiya, Further to my "Bulk Buy", now onto the Tank Helmets.. Any info, greatfully received..:) 

I've even bought a floating shelf to put these helmets on... Wife thinks I'm mad...Hope she doesnt mind the Algerian M1 helmet due to arrive  tomorrow...LOL..:)

First helmet looks to be the older of the two...It has the remains of a net on it...:)

DSC_1338.JPG

DSC_1339.JPG

DSC_1340.JPG

DSC_1345.JPG

DSC_1346.JPG

DSC_1347.JPG

2nd Helmet, it fits me, so will probs be the one I keep...:) 

DSC_1348.JPG

DSC_1349.JPG

DSC_1350.JPG

DSC_1351.JPG

DSC_1352.JPG

Are you sure these are British Armoured helmets? I always thought they looked like this one.

hat with propeller.jpg

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
Just now, pylon1357 said:

Are you sure these are British Armoured helmets? I always thought they looked like this one.

hat with propeller.jpg

Ah ......the Mk31 RCAF test pilots helmet,a scarce beast indeed ;).

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I wouldn't part with that first one Norrie ;),ask @Mark K mate I would get a chinstrap for it the liners for the different periods are different mate,you have one of each ;).

16 minutes ago, Ham & Jam said:

I wouldn't part with that first one Norrie ;),ask @Mark K mate I would get a chinstrap for it the liners for the different periods are different mate,you have one of each ;).

OK, OK. @Ham & Jam.....I'll keep them both....:) LOL....

What Type chinstrap will I need to buy ??? there was a tiny bit ( 4inches) of green chinstrap on the helmet....I've still got it here....:)

floating shelf.jpg

Edited by Norrie

Very Nice Post War Mk II HSRAC's @Norrie The Mk II has one distinguishing feature that sets it a side from the Mk I that being that the Mk II has the removable liner with the 'Lift the Dot' centre fastener and the Mk I,s liner is held in place by a liner retention nut and bolt as seen in the images below of a few of these helmets from my own collection these helmets were used from very late in 1945 and ended there service some time in and around the mid 1980's in the service of the Royal Navy so they have had a long service life indeed..
 Chinstraps for these are normally seen in three different variation the Mk II version is all elastic and can be found in either khaki drill or on later versions olive drab and finally there is the Mk III version with the quick release.

Regards Mark

$_57 (23).JPG

Picture 2670(1).jpg

Picture 3293(1).jpg

Picture 3906(1).jpg

$_57 (25).JPG

Edited by Mark K
  • Upvote 1

Hi @Mark K, and @Ham & Jam, great information, thanks to both of you, I love those hats of yours Mark...jealous.com....but, one day.....:) 

Re the chinstrap, I have a similar one dated 1977 for the newer helmet, and a need one for the older hat...:) Below is a pretty poor phone pic of the strap on the newer one...:)

Again, thanks to you both for the great assistance, hopefully my next helmet will be a wee bit more interesting for you both...:) No idea what it is yet.....for now anyway...:)

DSC_1367.JPG

Edited by Norrie