What still is.....and expanded!

Henri

Now......like mentioned in my introduction topic and "What once was" topic, I still have a special place for items I haven't and will not part with.

Always loved these items and decided to keep them: U.S. and Commonwealth Ration items, Tabacco items, Escape / Survival items and some small personal and hygiene items.

Ration, Tabacco and escape items have my main interest and I now and then still add new items.
I am not looking for them, but on occasions I come acrosss them offered for sale or trade.

With personal items you need to think about: watches, medaillions, armlets, foutainpens, stationary, music instruments (pocketsize).
With hygiene items: toothbrushes, toothpaste, saving stuff, soap etc.
With escape / survival items: survival / escape sets like used by airman, concealed compasses, silk maps, maps only cases ( everything small, so not big ticket items like smachettes etc.)
With tabacco items: pipe tabacco, cigarettes, lighters, matches, etc ( most full)
With ration items: well, everything ration but not the crates and stoves or cutlery. Realy the rations, like 24 hour rations, K-rations, D-rations, parts of rations.

I wrote specific commonwealth, because not only British rations, but also Canadian and Australian.

Enough talked....time to show some pictures!
Keep in mind, most are pictures from about 6 years ago and I have a lot more that I haven't shot pictures from yet.

Enjoy!

_84.jpg

10155246_702834409825710_8864004983893904608_n.jpg

20150315_190610.jpg

australische emergency rations (1).JPG

australische emergency rations (6).JPG

australische emergency rations (8).JPG

details overzicht (4).JPG

details overzicht (5).JPG

details overzicht (7).JPG

details overzicht (8).JPG

details overzicht (9).JPG

details overzicht (10).JPG

details overzicht (11).JPG

details overzicht (12).JPG

details overzicht (13).JPG

details overzicht (14).JPG

details overzicht (15).JPG

details overzicht (16).JPG

DSCN1883.jpg

emergency rations.JPG

emergency rations (2).JPG

IMG_0644 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0645 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0646 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0647 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0648 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0649 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0651 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0652 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0653 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0654 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0655 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0656 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0657 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0658 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0659 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0660 [800x600].JPG

sig.jpg

totaal overzicht gedeelte (5).JPG

volle blikjes.JPG

volle blikjes (2).JPG

maps only 1.JPG

maps only 2.JPG

b4 kit (1).jpg

escape items [800x600].JPG

• Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

That's a fantastic collection all I can say is WOW :D,it's stuff you just don't come across these days,Fantastic ! :D

Hi @Henri,

I haven't seen some of those items in years, so thanks for sharing!

Blunderbuss Antiques was the place in London to buy these items, although other dealers had some good bits too.

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

@DAK D

I personally never visited Blunderbuss, but on the continent there were also dealers in the past hwo had these things on regular base.

Now a days it becomes harder and harder to get mint, full items.
Most of it I gathered the last 10 years.

Just before I decided to stop with my collection, I could buy a big part of an old collection!
Very expensive, but top grade quality that you could not find with dealers any more.

Most difficult are the British items ( rations ), but I now know a guy who is willing to sell me now and then something of his own collection.

Hi @Henri,

I do remember a few Dutch guys that used to get lots of British kit in the 1990's!

It has never been easy to find British ration items and when it does turn up these days it's expensive.

Do you consider "Fleet Razor Blades" to be escape equipment items? I know the story about them and I have seen these blades going for some crazy prices.

D

1a.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5 hours ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Henri,

I do remember a few Dutch guys that used to get lots of British kit in the 1990's!

It has never been easy to find British ration items and when it does turn up these days it's expensive.

Do you consider "Fleet Razor Blades" to be escape equipment items? I know the story about them and I have seen these blades going for some crazy prices.

D

I have seen these blades @DAK D , but not all are escape versions.

Would need to check my references on how and what, but I haven't any my self.
But otherwise they are definitly "escape equipment items"!

Yep, British ration items are very expenisive.
About 6 months ago I bought 10 items from a guy and had to pay about € 1400,- for it!!!! O.o
But, I was happy I COULD buy it and found him.

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Phenomenal stuff! Just as impressive as combat gear IMO.

• Upvote 2

On 19-5-2016 at 22:33, Bil4338 said:

Phenomenal stuff! Just as impressive as combat gear IMO.

For me these items makes everything more personal!

Combat gear, helmets, medals........all can be found in every museum, but items like these make the story personal.
Poeple who lived during these days or just after better recall the rations and cigarettes, then what the soldier dressed like.

Also nice to see that some brands still excist today and how it suprises people when they see it my collection!

Imagine: coca cola would not have been such well known brand if there was no WWII.
One of the top members of Coca Cola spoke during WWII that Coca Cola needed to be present to every serving U.S. soldier, no matter were ever in the world.
The president kept him on what he said and they provide coca cola all over the world were the GI's fought.
Because of that, the brand became also known to the civilians who lived there and what people know is what people want!
It formed the base of what is known now!

Or something like: 
How a package of Lucky Strike looks like today.
Before 1942 the colors were Green and Red.
Because of the green pigments were needed for the war effort, they changed it to white....the design that still stands today.

Small items that are WWII, but gives a complete different look on development of products as we know it still today.

• Upvote 1