Tony Oliver

Lenny

Never heard of him till someone brought up his fake SS belt buckle on here a few weeks back

Am I missing something or the late Tony was a bit of a forger too?May he rest in Peace,though!

• Field Marshall

I've always known him as the originator of the repro gear, as well as his partnership with Barry Smith on the etched combat S84/98's. Everybody wanted daggers back then, nobody really cared for bayonets to the same extent. They ruined items of historical significance. I think what he did was sacrilege, he may have sold stuff as reworked (like the sword story in the above link) but he made a lot of money and a lot of collectors got burned. I'm not speaking ill of the dead, but I'm not going to sing his praises.

• Upvote 2

At least "Ollie" preserved some wonderful ex-military vehicles.

On the same topic, anyone remember Sean Barry? He was one of the better 'fakerists' of Nazi militaria. I remember him back in the 1970s, with a car trunk full of 'Hermann Goring Wedding Swords', that he'd brought in from Spain. He was also involved with make (very) dodgy SS cuff titles. He died in California, about 15 years ago.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

I've always known him as the originator of the repro gear, as well as his partnership with Barry Smith on the etched combat S84/98's. Everybody wanted daggers back then, nobody really cared for bayonets to the same extent. They ruined items of historical significance. I think what he did was sacrilege, he may have sold stuff as reworked (like the sword story in the above link) but he made a lot of money and a lot of collectors got burned. I'm not speaking ill of the dead, but I'm not going to sing his praises.

That's EXACTLY what I'd have said @Lenny......we're not speaking ill of a dead person and we never will but we surely enough won't sing a forger's praises!

• Upvote 1