Retired dealer - back, but not in the saddle

Tony Walker

Hello all you collectors of military memorabilia. I started dealing in US Army badges and patches back in the 1970s, and through this speciality, I was asked to contribute to the book Military Collectibles, which was published by Salamander Press (see pic for the cover). 

I did have a pretty good collection of shoulder patches, but they've all gone the way of most collections. Still have a few reference books, though. Don't collect anything now, except for dust!

Military Collectables.jpg

• Upvote 4

I have this book! one of my first that I've always kept.

When visiting the antiques roadshow one day - I noticed the Militaria Expert using this very book to I.D a German long service award...... cant be bad if the A.R.S use it :)

• Upvote 3

Guest Fred Karno's Army

A book that probably kick started more collectors in the UK than any other at the time,I think it was the first to show varying nations equipment weapons,headgear etc in an explanatory form.If not it was the first I remember,still thumbed through it until recently when I passed it on to Norrie.

1 hour ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

Here you are @Norrie you can get that copy signed I gave you lol ;),welcome aboard @Tony Walker .

:waving-soldier:

Hi @Tony Walker, As @Fred Karno's Army says, a great book, and much looked at by me, and him before me.

Welcome to the MCN, a fantastic place to be, such a knowledgable crowd of guys, and even more so now...:)

• Upvote 1

Was my first book!!!!
Pages are stuck together......uuhhh....wait....that is an other book, but loved the diverse items and everything in color.

Recently checked my library to decide what to keep and what to let go....but this I will keep!!

• Upvote 3

Hi @Tony Walker welcome to the group. :)

Great book I still have a copy. Joe used to have a house and Museum near me in Warnham (near Horsham West Sussex) which hosted a monthly militaria fair.          If memory serves me correctly he is Nicholas (Rodney Trotter) Lyndhursts dad.

Edited by Mav352
  • Upvote 2

• Major General
2 hours ago, Mav352 said:

Hi @Tony Walker welcome to the group. :)

Great book I still have a copy. Joe used to have a house and Museum near me in Warnham (near Horsham West Sussex) which hosted a monthly militaria fair.          If memory serves me correctly he is Nicholas (Rodney Trotter) Lyndhursts dad.

That's correct, although I gather they're very much estranged.

yep, one of my earliest purchases too...bargain books, £8 I recall! One of the first books to show real goodies in full colour in the UK, how things have changed!

• Upvote 2

That book along with this one were the start of my reference library back in the dim and distant past.

3143707217.jpg

• Upvote 1

The first gift my girlfriend...now wife ever bought me .....Xmas 1983! Bet she

regrets it now.......xD

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mav352 said:

That book along with this one were the start of my reference library back in the dim and distant past.

3143707217.jpg

Just goes to show what similar paths we've trodden! 

• Upvote 1

Scary isn't it. But then there wasn't the wealth of reference books we have now. :)

I'll be glad to sign any of the Military Collectables books for you. My copy is signed by all those who contributed to the book - we all had a signing session when the book was launched at the Warnham War Museum.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

I'll be glad to sign any of the Military Collectables books for you. My copy is signed by all those who contributed to the book - we all had a signing session when the book was launched at the Warnham War Museum.

What a great offer Tony , I think I'll be taking you up on that offer if you don't mind, and quite happy to stick a few quid into the nominated charity on your behalf, Of course i'll cover postal costs as well...:)

• Major General
11 hours ago, Libertesoe said:

Just goes to show what similar paths we've trodden! 

Another of my first purchases, and still a seminal work.as said, there wasn't much to go on in these days, but this was one of the best.

• Upvote 1

Blimey, That book takes me back, German Army Uniforms and Insignia, I,m pretty sure I still have it among all the others, but Its in the loft, I,ll have to dig it out as I made loads of notes on almost every page. Welcome Tony, were you ever at Camden Passage as your name rings a bell with me

• Upvote 1

No, never at Camden Passage, but for years I was a regular at the Charing Cross market, under the arches. I also had a mail order business, trading as Command Post.

• Upvote 1