Quist 66 Bigfoot SD

Tips

Hi all, Just wanted to share my fave helmet. It's not the prettiest, its got no liner, has pitting but - i love it, it's my ugly duckling :) 

I obtained this from the granddaughter of the chap who brought it back from France after the hostilities. He went over D+2 and His job was to retrieve and strip down broken and smashed tanks from the battlefield - Axis and allied Armour.

Apparently he picked this up along his travels but when he got home, his old lady insisted he kept it in the leaky shed as she didn't want it in the house. There it remained for 70 odd years and a few years after his death.

his granddaughter wanted to move it on and donate the monies raised to the British Legion - Which I obliged.

I'm quite a new one here but just wanted to share,

thanks

20160604_224315.jpg

20160604_224332.jpg

20160604_224352.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well its certainly an untouched, unmessed with Q, with the type of pitting you would expect being left in a damp shed for that amount of time, but that decal is pretty decent considering, and I would say its more or less 80% intact which is pretty good and better than some whole helmets with a better intact paint scheme, shame about the liner, was there any sign of the liner, did the granddaughter look for it in the shed, or for a chin strap?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Davejb said:

Well its certainly an untouched, unmessed with Q, with the type of pitting you would expect being left in a damp shed for that amount of time, but that decal is pretty decent considering, and I would say its more or less 80% intact which is pretty good and better than some whole helmets with a better intact paint scheme, shame about the liner, was there any sign of the liner, did the granddaughter look for it in the shed, or for a chin strap?

Hi Davejb - I did ask her but said from what she was told, It never had any gubbins and he brought it back as it is, she seems to remember that he found it in one of the tanks he was stripping but who knows, shame really but I am glad I have a slight history with it