Crete Shopping...

Norrie

Hi Guys, in 10 days, I'm off to Crete for a wee break....the wife has no idea of the WW2 events that occurred on Crete, If i told her, I think we'd be getting tickets for some other place...:)

Anyways, does anyone know of shops selling militaria etc?? or even museums, or places of interest to visit while we are there...??

We are staying In Hernossis, not far from Heraklion,....we are probobly going to hire a car, tho I was told the bus service is very good and cheap...:)

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 2

Hi @Norrie,

I would be very careful what you are buying while you are on holiday in Crete, as you probably won't be able to return it once you get back to England.

D

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie,

I would be very careful what you are buying while you are on holiday in Crete, as you probably won't be able to return it once you get back to England.

D

Won a watch then, as i'm returning to Scotland.....just altered my profile flag....:)

Seriously tho, did'nt know about that....so, everything has to remain in Greece??

Ah well, might save some money then...she'll be happy at that...:(

Edited by Norrie

Hi @Norrie,

I don't know about that mate, but I heard that Crete/Greece is like Normandy, with lots of fake TR militaria for sale.

D

• Upvote 1

Ahhhhhh .... @DAK D, righty,. TBH, the stuff I would be buying  at the amount of money I'll be spending, it really wouldn't matter if it was real or repro....:)

I do remember someone on another forum visited a little cafe on Crete somewhere and outside there were hanging flowers, and the pots were all FJ helmets with holes drilled in them, and he said there was about a dozen hanging up, so dont get any ideas about buying flowers for the missus because she wont want the pots!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

On 6/8/2016 at 20:49, Davejb said:

I do remember someone on another forum visited a little cafe on Crete somewhere and outside there were hanging flowers, and the pots were all FJ helmets with holes drilled in them, and he said there was about a dozen hanging up, so dont get any ideas about buying flowers for the missus because she wont want the pots!!!!!!

@Davejb...you dont happen to have the address of said cafe do you ?? , she has been talking about hanging baskets on our garden fences...:) 

• Major General

Norrie,

Up in the mountains there's a cafe with loads of old militaria gathered locally, can't recall where though I think it's in the White mountains!

There's a small bric-a-brac shop in the old town in Rethymnon, although you'll need to search and ask, blink and you'll miss it.lots of repro tho with the odd wee gem.

the maritime museum in Chania is excellent.go to the square, down to the harbour, turn left, up a slope you can't miss it.

for older history, the archaeological museum in Heraklion is very good.

again in Heraklion, there's the national resistance museum.at the harbour where the bus stops, go across the bus park.theres a high wall with lots of steps.follow them up to the left and walk up the hill.pass a modern cafe half way up, continue around a gradual bend, look across the road at the corner of a hotel, there's a plaque on the wall and the (small) museum's there.quite interesting with some good exhibits but don't expect the IWM!! Bear in mind the last time I was there was  2011/12 so it might have moved! Best to ask a local in best pigeon Greek....

best of British and enjoy your hols!

• Upvote 4

@Bil4338, thank you, exactly what I need....printed off and saved the whole post...enough to last a few days there...:)

That cafe I was talking about could also be the one Bil4338 has in mind

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Davejb said:

Excellent, I'm trying to find it on t'internet right now...Thanks @Davejb :)

• Major General

Dunno, the cafe before the bend was very modern.maybe modernised from the time Davejb visited....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Davejb said:

6 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

Dunno, the cafe before the bend was very modern.maybe modernised from the time Davejb visited....

@Bil4338 Looking for the cafe, will give me something to do other than drink beer and sunbathe...:)

I never visited this cafe , I was going by the info supplied from a member of another forum, If memory serves he did say it was out of the way, so a mountain cafe could be the one, I would also check where a lot of FJs were involved in local battles etc, thats where the local people would have picked them up from

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Davejb said:

I never visited this cafe , I was going by the info supplied from a member of another forum, If memory serves he did say it was out of the way, so a mountain cafe could be the one, I would also check where a lot of FJs were involved in local battles etc, thats where the local people would have picked them up from

@Davejb, hey, no worries, I have a week before we go to research where it is....and i'll bet the holiday will fly through, I'll post up on my return...:) If I'm not back in three weeks, send help....:)