unfocused

pylon1357

Ok all, I have to ask.... how many of us lack a clear and defined focus in our collecting??

I see we have dedicated ordnance collectors, helmet and headgear collectors, uniform collectors, insignia and badge collectors, etc...

Me, I call myself a medals collector (many will call me other names, some duly earned) I am also a dedicated collector to the Irish Regiment of Canada and its predecessors the 180th Sportsman Battalion C.E.F. and 208th Irish Overseas Battalion C.E.F. 

I have quite a good collection of C.E.F. medals, plus quite a few other Canadian medals up to the current time. BUT, I also have a nice collection of WWII Canadian Cap badges, collar badges and Metal shoulder titles. This collection represents the Regiments in WWII that saw service overseas. The bulk are in 5 shadow boxes one for each Overseas Division. I also have a display for other units not fitting into the 5 divisions. This collection has stagnated as I require very few items to complete it, but these are very high end items. (Money goes elsewhere).

I also have a good selection of P37 web gear, WWII Canadian tunics and other odds and ends. My time in Afghanistan allowed me to expand, like I needed to? into current Canadian stuff used in AFG. I also managed a US Army tunic, trousers and cap, from an American serving member who I became pretty good friends with. I also managed a British tunic that is somewhere in the house, and an Australian uniform as well. 

Where the heck do I draw the line? My first love is for the Irish Regiment of Canada, and when I kick the bucket, my collection goes to the Regiment to do as they see fit. I know much of it will remain in their collection as I have some pretty Regimental important pieces. 

I guess what I am asking is, am I alone in this sickness? How many of us have lots of items outside our normal focus?

• Upvote 3

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Although primarily my interest lies in WW1 commonwealth items my most 'off topic' items are my HMS Thetis bits ( Covered in another topic search Thetis ;)) . But it's whatever takes my fancy,I have a few personal bits I brought back from Iraq but I must admit that theatre of collecting doesn't bother me at all.I did well bringing stuff home on leave at the time selling it though ( The bonus of being the base logistics officer :P) but if I like it I buy it :D.

I'm just at the start of my collecting career, up till recently, its all been related to either the WW2 RAF, Paras or RA.mainly badges and patches...I've been making up shadow boxes on the family members in the different services......but, have now started to diversify ....I'm getting to love "cheap" tin hats, of any description....but mainly British.....maybe later, I'll concentrate on something, but for now, I just love it all....;) 

This evening, I bought a WW2 heavy armoured vehicle first aid kit...why?? no idea, just liked it....:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 3

I'm am very focused and never stray. Any bit of ordnance or kit from WW2. Only things I don't collect are uniforms and medals. 

• Upvote 2

I am beginning to start collecting TR awards, but in the future I'd like to spread a bit and dab  into FS knives and German uniforms and hopefully pick up items connected to my relatives regiments in WW1. 

Ive still got a long time to do so, that is what ive got on my side :D

• Upvote 2