Holy mother of god I darn near stroked out.

pylon1357

As many of you know I am a CEF medals collector. One thing I am always on the hunt for are interesting single BWMs. These singles for me have to be original members of the Battalion they are named to and must be their full entitlements. In other words, these are men who joined a CEF battalion, went to England and didn't serve in France or Flanders. 

Well one came up on eBay, I immediately recognized the surname as being connected to my family. I contacted my father to be sure I was correct and yes I was. Although this man was a member of the London Ontario family and not the Bancroft Ontario family. Still related, but not as close. 

I had this medal on my watch list, as time ticked down today, I set an alarm reminder for 5 minutes before the end of the auction. (I have tried to use those sniper programs, but I always screw it up.  So I wait until 1 minute 45 seconds and start my bid, low and behold my damned computer screen goes into that spinning circle thing, I waited a few seconds, hit the button that says continue bidding. Damn-it, the bloody screen goes to white and says no internet connection. Oh for the love of god NOOOOO. I grab my smart phone, hit the eBay button then watch list. Crap spinney thing again. Switched off the wifi and got the G4 network. Ok get the hit the screen again. By this time I figure I have about 30 seconds or so. Shoot, I got 7 seconds. I hit bid now, up popped the enter bid amount screen. I punched in some stupid high amount, at this point I don't give a rats arse if I pay through the backside or not, just get my bid in. I hit the confirm button with 2 seconds left, spinney thing again. I'm shaking so damned bad at this point. I figured I blew my chance because I heard some odd chiming from my phone. I check and holy lord thundering Jesus I won. 

Now, once my bloody heart rate returns to normal, I hope the shaking stops. My lovely wife is due home any minute, with my resent health issues, she is going to freak out at my colouring and call a dang ambulance. LOL 

• Upvote 2

What a cracking, nerve wracking story... @pylon1357  dont you just love the internet?? keeps us all on the ball....:) 

GLAD you got the medal too....it seems it was meant for you...:)

• Upvote 1

Normally I am quite calm in the closing seconds of an auction, but this time, good lord. I scored it in the end for a very reasonable price. A lot less than the other medal I was bidding on, that is for sure. Most times I just place a bid whenever I see it and let it fly. If I win, I win, if not no big deal. Well the first one was well within my MUST HAVES, therefore I hit it hard at the end and almost missed it due to  the computer issue. Thank god for a smart phone. I was also successful in the last one, although it close to my max bid. 

• Upvote 1

You've been  f-ing lucky for sure @pylon1357 !A few years ago the same thing happened to me but I only had the mtrfckng PC then;I was bidding on an Item I had been after for ages when the bl@@dy connection ant the mtrfckng PC parted company!I remember I grabbed the mouse and threw it against the wall cursing like a man possessed ...the biggest piece I found was as small as bread crumb...it literally disintegrated and I lost my seat on the train to Paradise!

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Manu Della Valle said:

You've been  f-ing lucky for sure @pylon1357 !A few years ago the same thing happened to me but I only had the mtrfckng PC then;I was bidding on an Item I had been after for ages when the bl@@dy commecton ant the mtrfckng PC parted company!I remember I grabbed the mouse and threw it against the wall cursing like a man possessed ...the biggest piece I found was as small as bread crumb...it literally disintegrated and I lost my seat on the train to Paradise!

LMAO, I hear you. I lost my seat on the train to Paradise about 30 years ago. It has now been decided that Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I will take over. 

Gardian angle.jpg

• Upvote 1

@pylon1357...I'm rather confident that for a while we've been "guarded" by the same Angel, but in the last six months I've nearly killed myself twice while going down a cliff with my MTB and two months ago I heavily crashed with my enduro bike on a fast rocky downhill and I've realized that this time around my Guardian Angel  was working FOR and NOT AGAINST me!Gotta LOVE that meme,tho!
Cheers
Manu

@pylon1357,I've been living in Italy for the best part of the last four decades and,as you surely know,Italy's a Catholic Country and in Rome there's the (in)famous Vatican,i.e. the biggest legalized crime organization to ever grace the World!In a nutshell,as odd as it may seem blasphemy in Itally verges into the artistically and scientifically insane and I'm ashamed to admit that I could put into blasphemy just about any song and I used to compose raps that would have had Satan fall on his knees,cross himself invoking the Trinity and chant the Pater Noster seventy times seven,now I've changed and I feel a better man!