D&B Militaria?

HetzersGonnaHetz

Has anyone ever had a problem with D&B?

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz

Spent loads with them over the years and never had a problem, very approachable & knowledgeable guys too. That said I'm sure due to the sheer quantity of stuff they sell that the occasional lemon goes out to customers.

• Upvote 1

Ah well mate, fair enough. They're top guys, I'm just seeing if anyone has had any bad experiences

Hi @HetzersGonnaHetz,

I sold them most of my Thompson machine gun collection and I had no problems dealing with them. :)

I don't know about any "lemons" they might have sold in the past, but some collectors got some real bargains when they purchased my Thompson guns from them, as their descriptions were totally wrong. 

D

• Upvote 1

Haha true, they have a M18 WW2 helmet for sale, little do they know it's a cut out which easily go for £1000+, but I think it's fake.

• Major General

M18 WW1 surely? They can't be that bad!!:D

• Upvote 2

No I ain't lying. Many M17/18 were reused in WW2 and given German Army/SS/LW/KM decals. The rarest of these is what's called an M18 cut out. No one really knows why, but some suggest that it's so the wearer can hear better or use the telephone more easily. There were only around 100,000 M18 cut outs, so for the shell on its own some can pay up to $2000 and for the whole shebang around $8000. The problem is that the one on D&B seems fake, you can see where someone has painted it with a brush and the rust is brand new, not the sort you get from being in a barn for 70 years ?

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz

5 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

No I ain't lying. Many M17/18 were reused in WW2 and given German Army/SS/LW/KM decals. The rarest of these is what's called an M18 cut out. No one really knows why, but some suggest that it's so the wearer can hear better or use the telephone more easily. There were only around 100,000 M18 cut outs, so for the shell on its own some can pay up to $2000 and for the whole shebang around $8000. The problem is that the one on D&B seems fake, you can see where someone has painted it with a brush and the rust is brand new, not the sort you get from being in a barn for 70 years ?

Hi @HetzersGonnaHetz,

Based on the photos I can't judge this M18's paintwork or Eagle decal, but the rust is old and the pitting is deep, It's probably reactivated due to bad storage.

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/ww1-german-m18-transitional-helmet-with-nazi-army-decal

D

It could well be just an original M18 helmet, that someone has decided to cut out either side. Happened a lot to original M18 in the 90s to make them look like cut outs

Well,
fors starters reading "Nazi" as the first word in a description assuming (wrongly!) that it'll sell better is a sure way to make me steer clear from them!
Secondly...I've seen Czechnese TURDS you humans wouldn't believe!Thirdly,a genuine silencer for the K98k even if deacted,eaten by rust and turned into a pigtail wouldn't sell for les than thirty hundred quid....
I may sound too harsh and probably am but a word too many or an item wrongly priced or described is more than enough to put the little arrow on the white "X" on a red background and............

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 1

Yes I must agree, some items are very dodgy.

• Field Marshall
19 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

I think @Bil4338 is very much aware about M18 Cut Outs.., he's the last person who needs a history lesson on these.. ;) Can you post a link to the helmet in question?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

I think @Bil4338 is very much aware about M18 Cut Outs.., he's the last person who needs a history lesson on these.. ;) Can you post a link to the helmet in question?

Just how he said 'M18 WW1 Surely?' 

• Field Marshall
3 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

Just how he said 'M18 WW1 Surely?' 

I'm sure @Bil4338 will chip in soon. He's a long time helmet collector, presuming you've misread his comment. ?

• Upvote 2

looking back at his comment, I think he meant as in it was made in WW1, dear God harvey!

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Heh heh heh!! :DJust seen Harvey's reply, and Lenny's too, must say they gave me a good chuckle.well, thanks for the history lesson Harvey, but as Lenny says, I don't really need it! 9_9

I've been collecting helmets for over 40 years...just so that you knowo.O.you must've misunderstood my reply.don't worry, it happens!:/

• Upvote 1

The problem with these cutouts is that you must see the interior so you can examine for markings and the cutout fully , see how the edging is formed, and whether there is a sharper edge than expected, but this one shown looks to be ok from the exterior, its described as a transitional which is accurate as these were used post WW1 and into the early part of WW2, the paint work is as expected and probably a repaint anyway. The decal has to be examined close up, and for a company to provide limited photos, without showing as much of the helmet as possible it casts doubt as to the authenticity, until its in hand. Its rather a stupid thing to do when trying to sell something you state is original. Also its said that the liner is original, how do we know until we see it, has it been upgraded to the M31 liner system, These were produced from 1931 and replaced the old Three pad liners, so what does it have???, The "newer" liner systems in 1931 should have an Aluminium band and yet again these were replaced in late 1940 with low grade steel and pot metal alloy, any decent collector would ask many more questions before even offering money and if possible get their hands on, that is the only true test in my opinion

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Right, just had a peep at the item in question....

1. Only two plan photos of such a rare item? None of the inner...makers marks???

2. New rust, always a VERY bad sign, bad storage or not.

3. Low price, basically it's saying "this isn't real and we know it's not"

4. Decal looks bad even from a distance...why no close-ups?!

5. Cut out position and shape looks bad straight away.

I have a nice example, I knew it was an altered shell when I bought it.wrong makers mark-all originals were ET64's, nothing else, mine's a W??.only bought it 'cos it was neat, and I'll never get a real one.¬¬

• Upvote 3

Wow, I've definitely learnt something myself here. I did think it was garbage, I didn't look right you know.

Haha, they're sometimes not even good at that, you'll  find out why I've said this at some point in the future if you want ?

2 hours ago, DAK D said:

Perhaps they should stick to selling deactivated weapons

D

That's my opinion too...but they should check that K98 silencer for it would be a steal at that price and a REAL one would fetch AT least £3000 even in pitiful conditions!

• Upvote 1