WW2 German Gas Gask Container.

Norrie

Hiya,

Among other things, had a great time at the boot sale this morning, happened on this ( Repainted) 1937 dated German Gas mask tin..in great condition too ( IMHO ) ..came with a gas mask, but I don't think for a minute the mask is original. 

Cheap as chips, the seller had some Iron Crosses in a frame, but, to my mind, they were copies....not that i'm clued up on that ...

BTW, YOU guys saved me another £60,Thank you for that.....as he also had a later Spanish  German type helmet, with the badge clamp ground off and dreadful fake decals attached...also with a completely wrong liner...wrong for the WW2 German that it was trying to be...and TBH if I'd seen it a couple of months ago, I'd have bought it....I did offer £30 on it, just to have as an "example" and tried to tell him about it, but he is convinced it is what he says it is...

Anyway, bad pics of this container below...:)

As a wee aside, he also had a Hitler bust, and when I told him I wouldn't be wanting it, another young guy listening in to us, started on about how he ( Hitler) should have won WW2, one world, one leader....and all that sort of crap...he was told in no uncertain terms to vacate the area or he was getting a "Glasgow Kiss" by a massive chap also looking at the sellers stuff...LOL...The neo guy spun on his heel and legged it...with us all cheering...great wee monrning.........:)

20160703_122358.jpg

20160703_122406.jpg

20160703_122420.jpg

20160703_122429.jpg

20160703_122439.jpg

20160703_122453.jpg

20160703_122522.jpg

20160703_122537.jpg

20160703_122613.jpg

20160703_122621.jpg

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie,

Part of the date looks scratched on to me?

Can we see the mask please?

D

Hiya @Dak. that scratch aint part of the date, its stamped 1937, very clearly, Tho, is under the paint....It's this rotten phone again, I absolutely hate the thing....I am struggling to take decent pictures of anything TBH mate...:( I'm just heading out to lunch with the family...Ohhhhh the joys of being a grandfather...Pics as soon as I get back...:)

Hopefully this other pic on the fone will be clearer for you mate...this is actually the one I meant to upload....:)

20160703_143955.jpg

Edited by Norrie
more info.
  • Upvote 1

Hi @Norrie,

It must have been your phone and maybe the angle, anyway I can see the date now :)

D

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie,

It must have been your phone and maybe the angle, anyway I can see the date now :)

D

Hi @DAK D....Thanks...:)

I really am looking forward to getting my Sony Experia back...:)

Now, for some ( sorry) bad pics of the mask itself...any idea what the numbers mean on the interior? I20160703_190446.jpg have searched all over the t'internet and cant find a similar mask anywhere....

I'm assuming it's a 1981 dated item...as it still smells of rubber, and def not ( IMHO ) an original one from the container...:) wish it was tho..

BTW, saw your British helmets, lovely items...but, now a tad skint till later in the month....:)

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH....Sorry guys, I didnt realise there is a whole section for gas mask queries....can this be moved there??? :)

20160703_190201.jpg

20160703_190211.jpg

20160703_190249.jpg

20160703_190259.jpg

20160703_190312.jpg

20160703_190535.jpg

20160703_190551.jpg

Edited by Norrie
Apology.....

Hi @Norrie,

You are quite correct about the gas mask, as it is definitely not a German WW2 one.

D

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie,

You are quite correct about the gas mask, as it is definitely not a German WW2 one.

D

@DAK D, Thank you for confirming it for me...I'll give it a wee clean, and let the grandsons play with it....:)

Hi @Norrie,

I don't think you should do that, as the mask might not be safe.

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie,

I don't think you do that, as the mask might not be safe.

The wife says I've not to let the kids near that filthy thing anyway....:) Great minds and all that...:)

• Upvote 1

Hi @Norrie,

The filters are often contain asbestos and old gas masks should never be worn without being made safe first, luckily you can remove the filter on that mask without any problem, but even so you should probably go with what the wife says. :)

D

• Upvote 2