1939-dated box of 7,92 German Rifle Ammunition with explanation of label

Manu Della Valle

Let's open this box together for the first time since the end of the War!
For starters the blue stripe on the label indicates that the cases were made of steel ( copper plated in this particular case!) and "i.L:" stands for "im Ladesreifen",i.e "in clips".
s.S. in the first line means "Schweres Spitzgeschoss" (197grs heavy bullet).
The second line indicates the loading plant (in this case P181,i.e. Hugo Schneider AG,HASAG,Leipzig),consignment number and date.
The third line indicates the propellent (in this case flake powder), the dimensions of the flakes,the manufacturer and date.
The fourth line indicates the cartridge case type,manufacturer,consignment number and date
The fifth lines  indicates the bullet maker,lot and date
The sixth line indicates the primer type (88),manufacturer (S.K.D.),lot (159) and date.
"CKV" followed by the date (39) inside the box flap is not a "secret code" but the acronym for the maker's company in capital letters.
The clips were often made by another manufacturer of ammunitions,in this case Markisches Walzwerk in Strausberg (P315),one of the biggest ammunition plants,later to be allotted the secret code "eej".
The headstamp shouldn't be a secret by now,the only thing that could puzzle you is the "Xw1",which would simply tell you that the plating firm was HASAG itself,while the green annulus indicates a heavy bullet!
Cheers
Manu

P7171342.JPG

P7171344.JPG

P7171347.JPG

P7171348.JPG

P7171350.JPG

P7171352.JPG

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 3