Thoughts on this tunic?

Lenny

• Field Marshall

You've seen this before, but here are better pics. ? Tunic for an SS-Obersturmfuhrer in the Field Police I believe? Appears unissued... Any thoughts?

The buttons are repro I believe, SS runes in a diamond isn't a good sign. My feeling is the tunic is correct but buttons have been added. The shoulder strap buttons looks good to me, and the DRGM sewn in button base look good....

??????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Database maintenance, should be back soon...

I don't know if this will help but I've compered your pictures against my late war "tropical" tunic (featured in an earlier post by me) and as far as I can tell the lining parts are almost identical in relative size, position and stitching. The construction appears the same except for a couple of small differences (ignoring the pockets as mine is a later pattern).

1) your tunic has no lining on the shoulder seam.                                                          2) the shoulderboard loop on my tunic straddles the shoulder seam.                                                                                                                                                                        3) the position of the stamping is unusual (to me anyway).

These of course could just be manufacturers differences (we know these occur).  Over all though I think it is a sound tunic (shame the boards aren't sew in ones).:)

Edited by Mav352

• Field Marshall

Cheers @Mav352, thanks for that. I'm happy with the source of the tunic, but think it's completely unissued. @Manu Della Valle suggests that it's a First Pattern Tropical Tunic but made in same material as pre war SS Drill tunics, that right @Manu Della Valle?

To be honest I got it for the price of the shoulder boards so happy whatever. I'm just puzzled what/who it was made for???

On 22/8/2016 at 14:29, Lenny said:

Cheers @Mav352, thanks for that. I'm happy with the source of the tunic, but think it's completely unissued. @Manu Della Valle suggests that it's a First Pattern Tropical Tunic but made in same material as pre war SS Drill tunics, that right @Manu Della Valle?

To be honest I got it for the price of the shoulder boards so happy whatever. I'm just puzzled what/who it was made for???

Not quite Lenny...I've said that it's a lightweight M41 tunic made of a different cloth (closely resembling the cloth used in the making of pr-War WSS wirk tunics) rather that HBT!
The other HBT tunic were but lightweight versions of the M42 and M43 tunics and even the M44 was about to being produced with only a handful issued for testing to chosen WH and WSS units!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

No..no pictures and no links...just experience,books and common sense!In my opnion it's a nice original with iffy buttons!
Manu

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
11 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

No..no pictures and no links...just experience,books and common sense!In my opnion it's a nice original with iffy buttons!
Manu

Cheers mate, what branch of service do you think it could have been for? Field Police like the shoulder boards, or????

It could be anything but WSS (their first model/M41 drill tunics had a 5-button closure!).It's a combat tunic but it's hard to tell who mongst the 8 million enlisted men wore it!
It's 100% genuine from where I sit and since there are no trace of insigna you could literally go to town!
Manu

Edited by Manu Della Valle

• Field Marshall

So the SS buttons wouldn't be right anyway. I'll pick up x10 real buttons and just go with the Field Police?

Field Police would be ok!On the other hand I don't think that a WSS soldier would have been sent to the Russian Front only because he was wearing a WH-issue tunic!
Do as you pleae Lenny...you can hardly be proved wrong...even if you'd put together a FD(LW) tunic, if you have any refs to support  that,of course!

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

What would you do if you had it, just leave it as it is? Or what would be the most consistent branch of service or configuartion?

I'd leave it alone if you're asking me,Lenny!Don't forget that the use of uniforms devoid of any insignia was more widespread than  one could believe...do a search yourself!???

Cheers

Manu 

• Upvote 2

• Field Marshall
2 hours ago, Manu Della Valle said:

I'd leave it alone if you're asking me,Lenny!Don't forget that the use of uniforms devoid of any insignia was more widespread than  one could believe...do a search yourself!???

Cheers

Manu 

That's what I was thinking, not dick around with it... Too much of that happening already. ;)