M1 "Beach Master" helmet..fake or real?

Norrie

Hiya, Dont laugh, but, I got this on the bay of evil for little more than the price of a couple of beers., in fact the post was almost as much as the helmet..:)

I have no clue if it's real or not...if its fake, i'll use it for target practice, and sell it on as a relic..LOL....:)

It's obviously been a swing bale rear seam helmet at one point.... but really cant find a stamp anywhere, there are what looks like to be "letter" just under the rim edge , its obscured by the red paint..., but I cant make it out.

So, is it a postwar "fantasy" piece like I think it is??

Cheers guys..:0

100_0107.JPG

100_0110.JPG

100_0111.JPG

100_0112.JPG

100_0114.JPG

100_0115.JPG

100_0117.JPG

100_0118.JPG

100_0119.JPG

100_0120.JPG

100_0125.JPG

100_0127.JPG

100_0128.JPG

100_0130.JPG

100_0132.JPG

100_0133.JPG

Edited by Norrie

• Major General

I'd imagine that's someone's fantasy markings, especially on a rear seam lid....

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

The truth @Norrie.................................I guess we will never know but I tend to agree with @Bil4338 on this.Still will look good as a display piece that's for sure ;).

Thanks guys,..you just confirmed what I thought....

The red  stripe round the edge does actually look a bit "older" than the lettering, crescent and rank badge...but I'm certain it's a fantasy piece....

Is that "Red Lead/oxide" paint that's used as a base coat?? 

Any reason for the shell not having a stamp or serial number?? Well, none that I can see...:)

Could it be a European shell, I think they just had a painted number on the inside of the shell.....and I've seen bright yellow ones before, and with that yellow paint showing...:)

Edited by Norrie

• Major General

Red primer was used on Vietnam period helmets.this one appears to have the pea green paint under the overpaint I'd expect from that period.looks like sand aggregate under all that paint too, so that would fit also with a late post war helmet.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Red primer was used on Vietnam period helmets.this one appears to have the pea green paint under the overpaint I'd expect from that period.looks like sand aggregate under all that paint too, so that would fit also with a late post war helmet.

Thanks @Bil4338...gawd mate, you know yer stuff....I'll never get all that info into this old brain... I'm so glad you are  here...:)

• Major General

Ha ha! Thanks for the compliment:D

just that 40+ years of collecting, going to fairs, reading good reference books and conversing with likeminded nutters gives a fair bit of encyclopaedic knowledge, even in my cluttered, muddled brain!:S

• Upvote 2