Tips on using Nitromors.

Norrie

Hiya, I've used Nitromors on doors, window frames etc etc...BUT, never on a WW1 Mk1 Helmet...any tips or advice before I go at it...?? 

It's got to be better than scraping the horrible puce green ( Modern)  paint off...

Do I dilute it..? also, got plenty wipes here, and gloves...

Thanks in advance chaps...:)

100_0149.JPG

I use a 1" paint brush, apply sparingly until you see a reaction on the outer paint, and wash with water straight away, do not leave it on there for any length of time in case it goes onto the under lying paint, and dont get any on the divisional sign, its a messy operation, but works well if you get it right, its a shame you,ve removed some of the original paint already

• Upvote 1

Hi @Davejb..a 1" Brush? !!! LOL, I'm using an artists brush...LOL...:) Their is a coat of brown paint,underneath the Puce stuff... but even without using the Nitromors, it  is all toffee like...so, I'm removing it by just using wipes...I assume that's why the helmet was painted with the modern stuff,,,its really a mess under there. The inside is painted with it too, and it will be coming off as well, to leave the original khaki paint which is in a decent state...:)

The original paint looks to be green, but, theirs yet another coat underneath that of a similar shade...I'm thinking thats what was used to make the Div Diamond. Lots of damage to the paint, but it's getting their, and good practise for me for the future.

Yep, I know what you are saying about removing the paint at first, but, it was a cheap helmet and was going to be drilled and repainted to make a lamp...at least some of it will now be saved...:)

Thanks again Dave...:)

100_0190.JPG

• Upvote 1