Mk 5 Anti Flak Helmet.

Norrie

Phew...this collecting lark is quite tiring.......sat up all bleedin night tonight waiting for this ending on Fleabay US....,...and got it for a lot less than I bid on it... REALLY happy with this one, It'll be waiting for me in California when I get there in a months time...:)

This is a later Mk5 AF helmet, seemingly saw service in the Pacific on B-17's...in great nick, and only missing the felt on the ear pads...AGAIN...thanks @Fred Karno's Army:)

What's the weight allowance again?? :)

Mk5AF.jpg

Mk5AF2.jpg

Mk5af3.jpg

mk5af4.jpg

mk5af5.jpg

mk5af6.jpg

mk5af7.jpg

1 hour ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

You're welcome mate ;),anytime.

Dont you worry @Fred Karno's Army, there will be more questions for the Master  as  time goes on.... :ph34r:

kungfu.jpg

3 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Great lid @Norrie!, now you need an M3 too.....¬¬

Arghhhh !!!.....Does it never end??? Hope not.....I'll also need Flak jackets and visors for both, and the radio headsets, and a 50cal machine gun...THEN...a B17....wooohooooo....

Thanks for the tip @Bil4338...:Yes:

Edited by Norrie

Guest Fred Karno's Army

My mate has an upper turret complete with dummy,and the ball turret again complete with dummy from a B17 :D,they were loaned by him for use in the film Memphis Bell.Also has the fuselage section of a HE111 which was used in the film Battle of Britain for internal shots.I know he will still have the Yankee stuff not sure on the 111,as its been a few years since I have last been in touch.

• Major General
3 hours ago, Norrie said:

Arghhhh !!!.....Does it never end??? Hope not.....I'll also need Flak jackets and visors for both, and the radio headsets, and a 50cal machine gun...THEN...a B17....wooohooooo....

Thanks for the tip @Bil4338...:Yes:

Here's my own M3 for your perusal @Norrie.note the subtle differences between it and your own M5....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

@Bil4338..You have the felt ear piece pads...want to sell them?? :) And the skip is easily spotted..it really does look similar in shape to an M1.....what I did notice right away was the chinstrap end, the pressed brass piece...is almost the same as a mk4 Turtle helmet  Chinstrap....if it's not broken...etc... Nice helmet ...NOW, I'll need to hunt one down...:P

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fred Karno's Army said:

@Norrie I have a mate who can supply the felt earpieces mate if you want to complete it ?.Pm me :x

You had to ask??....LOL.does he have a flak jacket too I ask myself....here, how do they fit in, just glued??? I also need the clip side of the chinstrap...:x

Edited by Norrie

Guest Fred Karno's Army

No flak jacket but yes to the second question,believe it or not most of the earlier flak jackets were manufactured by wilkinson sword,under US contract   o.O.

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Just now, Fred Karno's Army said:

No flak jacket but yes to the second question,believe it or not most of the earlier flak jackets were manufactured by wilkinson sword,under US contract   o.O.

Wilkinson Sword....gawd.....couldnt make it up...:)

• Major General

The felt pads are the first items to go missing or to be removed.get them onto eBay and you'll earn some dosh!

• Upvote 1

When I used to sell compounds, jewellers rouges, Abrasives, and everything like that, one of my customers was Wilkinson Sword at Acton, London. To go into the foyer was an experience, Every type of sword you can think of from the earliest periods up to modern officers dress swords hung from the walls all the way up to the ceiling, including Pikes. On one of the walls were some military flak jackets. I never really associated them with WS, I thought they were just display items. Also ,to watch the swords being made and also the antique swords being given a newer etching or acid coating prior to engraving was fascinating to see.. it always made me late for the next customers. They also made sword knots and hangers on site including extremely good wartime knots of many countries, up to the more modern ones

• Upvote 1

• Major General
12 hours ago, Norrie said:

@Bil4338..You have the felt ear piece pads...want to sell them?? :) And the skip is easily spotted..it really does look similar in shape to an M1.....what I did notice right away was the chinstrap end, the pressed brass piece...is almost the same as a mk4 Turtle helmet  Chinstrap....if it's not broken...etc... Nice helmet ...NOW, I'll need to hunt one down...:P

Really, it's just a cut-down M1...the end piece is fine, not broken.

...and I'm busy trying to howk the felt pads out as we speak, a bit difficult cos they're breaking up due to age :o:S.............................nah, only kidding!!;):P:D

• Upvote 1