Panzer Armee Afrika calendar and 1943 book

Afrikakorpsrat64

I would like to share with you all the latest additions to my DAK collection. My 1943 DAK calendar/note book, and my 1st vol. book on the DAK printed in 1943. Very happy to have these two items in my collection, I do wish the note book had more entries in it than it does, but it is what it is and I am still happy. 

20160913_092405.jpg

20160913_092326.jpg

20160913_092309.jpg

20160913_092239.jpg

20160913_092222.jpg

20160913_092212.jpg

20160913_092152.jpg

20160913_092045.jpg

20160913_092001.jpg

20160913_091914.jpg

20160913_091903.jpg

20160913_091857.jpg

20160913_091808.jpg

20160913_091802.jpg

1.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...

Many Thanks for showing this......My Dad was in the 8th Army during this period and all  were recalled back from Italy to prepare for the D-Day Landings....!!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Desert Rat, bless your dad! here is my tribute to the 8th, all original except the boots.

20170401_134753.jpg

20170401_134759.jpg

• Upvote 1

Many Thanks for showing this......My Dad was in the 8th Army during this period and all  were recalled back from Italy to prepare for the D-Day Landings....!!!

• Upvote 1

I appreciate very much you showing all of us these items....But more for Me to remember my Dad, and all the 8th Army, French and USA and Commonwealth troops who fought these great battles against the "Afrika Korps" ....Irwin Rommel...!!!

We had Great leaders, but until Monty came along....All the soldiers were under different leaders...When Monty Arrived with his OZ hat,,,Badges, his strong but powerful encouragement, strength and determination to WIN....Then the troops had something to fight for...When they finally fought the last Battle that the British and the Allies had won since 1939....Church Bells rung out throughout the land of the UK , on  this superb First Victory against the Enemy...!!!

To All those In these forces...The Long Range Desert Group Under David Stirling ...then to become the SAS....They Were Superbly Brave, Courageous and finally...WON......We  Remember Them..ALL..!!!

MISS YOU DAD YOU ARE MY ONE AND ONLY HERO FROM WW2......X.......IAN

DAD  02.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
change text
  • Upvote 1

Remember them for sure @Desert Rat, it was important to me to have a complete British desert kit, I owe almost all of it to @DAK D as thats where most of it came from! The 8th patches are Arab made originals. Thats a great picture of your dad, would love to see more.

• Upvote 1

I have (that his sister - my Aunty Ethel  gave me) his small issued truncheon, a small leather issued leather purse, a pair of desert goggles he wore, when he initially was a despatch rider in the Desert...and 4 wine glasses he sent home from Germany + a small glass mug he found, and best of a all an absolutely Superb First edition of Hitlers Mein Kampf story....original orange cover (hardbound) about 80 pages all in old german text, and all original photos / images +50 with Hitler, Himmler, Geobbles, Speer, Bormann, etc etc....I sold it back in 1963 (after my Dad found this in a house in Cologne / Koln and brought it home with him in his personal belongings) I actually gently took one photo out and it was stamped on the back who took the photo and where it was printed)........I sold it for 10/-    ......5 Euros.....The worst thing I have ever done after my Dad came back with this....I am ashamed of what I did all those years ago.....!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I know @Desert Rat, I sold my uncle Ed's medals back in the '70's wish I coukld get them back, stupid kid I was!!! We have all done stupid things but the respect we now hold is what counts.

• Upvote 1

My dad when he got discharged from the Marine, sold all his stuff, Dress uniform and all, not realizing he would have a son who would have loved to have it, then again I may have been stupid again and sold it myself those years back

• Upvote 1

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH........What a fool I have been....I would treasure this book of "Mein Kampf" now....But 50 years ago, I was young and wanted the money to save for a moped(when I was 15 years old)...only now I realsie my absolute my stupidity...Such a terrible shame on my Dad and more so for Me...!!...Maybe we both did not realise at all we would live another 50 years....and deeply regret it....WE DO...!!!...

Best Wishes to You & Your Family...Desert Rat

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH........What a fool I have been....I would treasure this book of "Mein Kampf" now....But 50 years ago, I was young and wanted the money to save for a moped(when I was 15 years old)...only now I realsie my absolute my stupidity...Such a terrible shame on my Dad and more so for Me...!!...Maybe we both did not realise at all we would live another 50 years....and deeply regret it....WE DO...!!!...

Best Wishes to You & Your Family...Desert Rat

Very true! I traded and sold so much family history, including a Jap naval dagger that my 2nd cousin Phil (USMC) took ofF a jap officer on Tarawa! young fool, and I was talking about young people today! Guess I was one of those too, but I did know the sacrifices made. Best wishes to you as well my friend! Cheers!

• Upvote 1

jobby....I done the same with my dad's medals he was awarded when he was discharged( I sold them also for only £5 = 10 euros)in 1963.....all arrived in a box for him, he was so proud and even bought a special badge for his jacket (which I cannot remember what it was) and a few weeks after he was cremated in 1973 at 53 years old.......I gave it away...Forgive me Dad...I am Truly Very Sorry...!!!.

• Upvote 1

Well.....We both live with the stupidity that we now suffer from and regret all that we have done/ sold/ given away/ as fools....I dont think we knew any better at that age...But always with Deep Regrets now as I / we get older...!!!

• Upvote 1

We agree...we were fools and lost many parts of the awards of the one's we loved...but we try to live and learn.....Thankyou so much as calling me your friend, I feel the same for you...My Friend.....!!!

• Upvote 1

I know, as my dad as well is gone. That they are proud of us and loved us. All we can do now is our best to preserve history, please dont be too hard on your self, as many have done the same, and its what is now in the heart that counts not some material object.

• Upvote 1

Yes...It's in our Heart that Count for Our Love to those We Have Lost....Many Never Think About It.....But We In All Our Hearts Never Forget, We Remember Every Day...!!!.....We Do Love & Miss Them, 

What Love Could Be Greater...as Those Many Millions Did......To Sacrifice Their Life For Their Brother...!!!

Dear Africa......What Lovely and Heartwarming Words you have spoken...I will Remember these.....Thank You Sincerely..Desert Rat

"They are proud of us and loved us. All we can do now is our best to preserve history, please dont be too hard on your self, as many have done the same, and its what is now in the heart that counts not some material object"......Afrikakorpsrat64