WH M35/40 HELMET STRAIGHT OUT OF...oh,never mind!

Manu Della Valle

Edited by Manu Della Valle
36 visits...no comments=lack of interest

36 visits...no comments=lack of interest

36 visits in a hour...no comments=lack of interest

@Lenny,
I've deleted the WHOLE thread!EVERYONE of US has some work to do (not too many Saudi Princes in the forum,and even those are busy playing polo!),it takes time to take pictures,choose them.edit them and post them!Believe it or not I've got a house,an elderly mother,motorbikes and cars,other hobbies and if I can spare the time,a work to do!
I got 36 visits in less than one hour yet nobody said a word whereas I ALWAYS leave a comment each time I visit a thread, on top of that if you take a look at who's on line you'll see that 90% of the members log in as "guests"...this is a militaria forum,not a Mossad recruiting point!
It hasn't been a childish move as you may (rightly) think;it's just been a form of "protest" and  the last thread with more than three pictures since I'm more and more convinced that spending too many energies on FB will keep would-be members from the forum and the members who are less active here will stay there,leaprogging from a page for prick-o-kids to another on how to destroy the system by throwing stones at lamp posts to the MCN one..without posting!
I've refrained from posting advice or commenting on an item there anymore  and I do that HERE instead,and you know that because you've noticed that EVERY single time I reply to some member on FB I ask him to join the forum!
Last night I've been on the WAF an WARELICS to read two threads about a supposed thief and once again I had to resist the ever-lasting yen to shoot the PC each time I visit those sites,especially the former!

Opinions on the FB page on the value of an item are a no-no,and that's a good thing,but in my opinion that should be the same as far as originality etc are concerned ...come to think of it,how many members would this site count and how many threads would it have should a fraction of those guys "move" over here?
I'm not posting my items to show off or to let everybody see how great my collection is because A) it's NOT that great and, B )there are much more interesting things to show than the ones I post.I do that trying to contribute to this forum the way I've done in the past elsewhere and seeing that people find the time to stay on FB all day long but don't find the time to move here makes me more and more convinced that the ones over on FB are but time-wasters who ACCIDENTALLY are into knickknack militaria,and give opinions there is both waisted time and a way to keep would-be members away!
I'm not only speaking for myself....there are hundreds of threads here on interesting items that got one or two casual replies at best!
You don't want to "steal" members to site like the WAF or WR,do you?DO THAT BY ANY MEANS!That wouldn't be "stealing members",rather diverting them to a much friendlier forum;people think that a forum must have at least 5000 members to be great and when they see that we're less than 800 they (wrongly) think we're a bunch of amateurs while in fact we could be considered "la creme"! 
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Sigh, where do I start.... ? The whole point of a forum is it builds to a great reference work, and for that it takes members, topics, photos and TIME. With the best will in the world, we can't all be on the forum 24 hrs a day, so it often takes time to get around to the topics and view pics, comment etc.

Just because nobody commented on your pics in an hour doesnt mean you should take them down. I was interested in seeing them, now they're gone, and this is a dead topic.

People logging on as guests are irrelevant, a few of those are search engines like Google that are indexing the site.

Whether you like it or not, Facebook is preferred by a lot of people, and in this social media climate, that wont change. All forums are suffering from this, I speak to lots of webmasters and we all experience that, even WAF and WRF. I'm still a member of both, in fact I've been a member of WAF since 2001 I think...

Since I've added the extra FB sub groups, I've actually noticed a spike in web forum members. You can't force anyone to do what they dont want, and whilst the FB groups are a recruiting ground for the web forum, they are an important part of the MCN and will remain so. We have to give people what they want, in the format they want.

I don't agree that FB users are time wasters, much the opposite, many very serious, committed and knowledgeable collectors there, as here. The format the collector chooses to communicate isn't indicative of their knowledge or experience.

As for WAF and WRF, I'm not a bit bothered either way. As i said, I'm a member of both and they have their uses. I've got good friends on both.

The whole point about the MCN is that it is a community of collectors, whether that be on the web, FB, twitter, in the rainy car park of a small military museum, wherever. The communication medium doesnt matter, its about the members. If the majority of MCN members want to communicate by using morse code i'll arrange a discounted deal on morse keys...

• Upvote 3