What is your favourite story of courage during the Second World War?

HetzersGonnaHetz

• Major General

Memory serves me right,there was a chap who got out on the wing of a burning bomber and put out the fire with an extinguisher and a blanket?

Canadian guy? VC winner i think?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Waffenamt said:

Memory serves me right,there was a chap who got out on the wing of a burning bomber and put out the fire with an extinguisher and a blanket?

Canadian guy? VC winner i think?

I believe I've heard that story but I cannot think of the man's name.

To give a few examples,

Stanley Hollis on D-Day and the days afterwards.

and

Audie Murphy clambering onto an M10 and scything down Germans.

But as I said, there are so many more.

3 minutes ago, Waffenamt said:

Thanks for linking the page, what a bloke!

• Upvote 1

• Major General

No worries mate,Im going to be very active on the forum.

Couldnt wait to get away from the Facebook site

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
3 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

I'm loving this forum already. :)

Glad to hear it, tell all your friends.... ;)

For me it is the I & R platoon that stalled the entire German army on the first day of the 1944 Ardennes offensive.

I had the pleasure of visiting the site of the battle about 7 years ago, and the foxholes are still there. You can see all the way into Germany from the position held by the platoon, all of which were eventually decorated for the action, with their commander, Lyle Bouck, receiving the DSC. Alex Kershaw has recently written a book covering the action. 

Greatest phone call ever was one I made to Lyle about a year after my visit. What a guy he is.........and his men. It was bad enough for the Allies when the attack was launched, imagine how much worse it could have been if it wasn't for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_Bouck

49 minutes ago, Steve T said:

For me it is the I & R platoon that stalled the entire German army on the first day of the 1944 Ardennes offensive.

I had the pleasure of visiting the site of the battle about 7 years ago, and the foxholes are still there. You can see all the way into Germany from the position held by the platoon, all of which were eventually decorated for the action, with their commander, Lyle Bouck, receiving the DSC. Alex Kershaw has recently written a book covering the action. 

Greatest phone call ever was one I made to Lyle about a year after my visit. What a guy he is.........and his men. It was bad enough for the Allies when the attack was launched, imagine how much worse it could have been if it wasn't for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_Bouck

Yes, At the beginning his men saw the horizon light up as Sepp Dietrich's 6th Panzer Army's artillery started up, then his men saw their Armoured protection, a few Tank destroyers, pull out of the village. In the distance he began to notice a large number of grey figures in two columns coming up the road ahead of him, Bouck then called Reg. HQ for Arty support on these FJ soldiers, only to be met by disbelief on the other end of the phone. The FJ troops had their weapons slung, not at the ready. He told his men to ready their weapons for action. Just as they were about to fire, a small girl ran over to the soldiers and pointed towards Bouck's position. The German officer then screamed for his men to take cover. These FJ troops were meant to break open a Gap at Lanzerath, which was opposite the Losheim Gap, for Kampfgruppe Peiper. (Lanzerath was a key hamlet as on Bouck's left was the road leading to Honsfeld, then onto the Ambleve Valley.) Because they needed to take Lanzerath, the German officer sent wave after wave of FJ troops at Bouck's men, only for them to be scythed down by machine guns. Bouck's men only gave up when they were outflanked once they ran out of ammo. His men killed and wounded a total of 400 men from the 9th Regiment, 3rd Fallschirmjäger Division.     The delay caused was most important and it was little troop actions like these which stopped the Germans from reaching the Meuse. 

Thank You for reading,

Harvey

Below, a photo of a Tiger II at La Gleize, the furthest point Peiper's Panzers got to.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I was amazed at the marks on the front of this Tiger II, where Allied AP had just bounced off the front sloped armour.

18 minutes ago, Steve T said:

I was amazed at the marks on the front of this Tiger II, where Allied AP had just bounced off the front sloped armour.

This thing was a monster, the best thing was to swarm the Tiger II with infantry as German Panzer crews panicked if their tank was being attacked by infantry.

Many stories out there. Really a remarkable generation that stepped up to fight on all sides. 

• Upvote 1

My favorite story?

The fact that my Dad enlisted rather than wait to be drafted, and made it back from the Phillipines after the war.

• Upvote 1