About me

HetzersGonnaHetz

Hi everyone, I'm loving the forum BTW,

Righty then, 

Well, I'm 14 years of age, I live in Derby and have just began collecting a few months ago. I am very keen and enjoy looking at militaria, (and hoping I'll be able to afford it at some point).

I'm going to be visiting the Newark Militaria Fair in April as my birthday is at the end of March, so I'll be able to get another nice piece.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Waffenamt said:

Patience matey,lots of graft too. ;)

If you ever have anything for sale, I'd be happy to have a look as I'm always wanting to expand and I know your stuff will be authentic. :)

• Major General

If your starting out,i would prolly pick a topic of collecting and start there.

Will see what i can do,but be aware that this hobby aint cheap!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Waffenamt said:

If your starting out,i would prolly pick a topic of collecting and start there.

Will see what i can do,but be aware that this hobby aint cheap!

Yes, when I go to the Newark Militaria fair in April I'll be looking out for DAK and DR items, even though they are expensive but I've always liked the look of them and two of my Grandma's Uncles were in the Desert Rats.

• Major General

Save all your pocket money mate, as waff says, this ain't cheap, esp. what you'll be looking for.best of luck!

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Invest in books,that's were you should start,I personally don't collect axis stuff but I am sure the guys can give you pointers on reference books.25+ years ago most of the reference books were written by the guys having tat manufactured and including fictitious items in their publications,but invest in good reference material.This will pay you back tenfold,although don't take everything as true in them like I said above  ;).

And secondly first hand account biographies of actions or periods that interest you.The fact and historical knowledge gained by these can never be underestimated.

I am still reading and digesting info on my particular subject 35+ years later than I started and I am still learning  :D.

Above all enjoy the hobby,and never stop learning,some of the best bits in my collection didn't cost big money,but knowing the history behind them......that's priceless  ;)

7 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

Invest in books,that's were you should start,I personally don't collect axis stuff but I am sure the guys can give you pointers on reference books.25+ years ago most of the reference books were written by the guys having tat manufactured and including fictitious items in their publications,but invest in good reference material.This will pay you back tenfold,although don't take everything as true in them like I said above  ;).

And secondly first hand account biographies of actions or periods that interest you.The fact and historical knowledge gained by these can never be underestimated.

I am still reading and digesting info on my particular subject 35+ years later than I started and I am still learning  :D.

Above all enjoy the hobby,and never stop learning,some of the best bits in my collection didn't cost big money,but knowing the history behind them......that's priceless  ;)

Talking about knowing history behind items, I might need your guys help at getting some info about a WW1 1914-15 Star Medal winner. Got his name and will put it up on a forum at some point.

Buy a metal detector and get out there and recover stuff yourself :) I've built up a small collection doing that......

1 hour ago, Steve T said:

Buy a metal detector and get out there and recover stuff yourself :) I've built up a small collection doing that......

I've read in most countries where war has taken place, you need to be 18 and have a license.

Did you look at the post about my War Room? 90% of what you see there has been recovered in the UK, where you don't need a licence to metal detect, you just need landowners permission. The UK is JAM FULL of WW2 relics. Trust me.......I've been doing this for more than 20 years.

Did you see the show 'WW2 - Battlefield Recovery' shown on Saturday nights in January on channel 5? 

• Upvote 2

@Lenny Thank you for the link, I'll have to get it next month however.

@Steve T I would really like the metal detect but I'll save up my pennies first if anything.

• Field Marshall

Just take it easy and research... don't worry about guys with amazing collections. Some have collected for 40 years or more.. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 2/29/2016 at 04:56, Lenny said:

t

Edited by Bill in VA
  • Upvote 3

• Major General
On 24/02/2016 at 07:08, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

Picture of my collection...

A good start there fella..

• Upvote 1

You will get there little buddy, get some books and study up on this stuff. There are too many crooks out there who would love to separate you from your hard earned money. Be patient and things will begin to appear, with knowledge and cash YOU begin to then snap them up! I started with fighter aces autographs, and then a co-worker sold me a Heer dagger. An early one from Tiger. I still remember it riding on my passenger seat with me staring at it the whole way home. Good luck!

• Upvote 2

I agree with @horridohutch. Books are the way to go in the beginning......

Here is a pic of my small selection of reference material. This is about half of it........ :):)

DSC04844.thumb.JPG.f0e9143f3640bbe232808

• Upvote 1

Yes very good idea, I'm going to get Rommel's Army in Africa which Lenny linked. :) 

• Upvote 1

Get yourself in every charity shop you see, and the biggest carboot in your area once a week. You can pick up some excellent reference books for next to nothing.

• Upvote 1