US M3 Knife - Advice Please

Kiwi

Can anyone give to some advice?

I have come into possession of a US M3 Trench knife with M8A1 scabbard. In all respects they appear to be authentic except that I can find no manufacturers name on either the knife or scabbard.

In view of this, are they more likely to be replicas? Is there anything else I could look for?

I am grateful for any assistance.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

Hello,

Good to hear from you, can you put some images up so that we can see it?

Best to you...Desert Rat/ Ian

Brilliant,

Many Thanks I do not know much about these but I am sure Davejb....Can help you, .....best to you.....IanB

Well I,m not anywhere near up on these, I,ve only owned two original WW2 ones, and to be honest, mine looked a little different from this one,in the fact of the blades were better made, also the scabbards,the one shown here has been badly sharpened for a start, but the centre line is also off , whether this is just a one off made badly or a fake its hard to tell, the two studs at the throat of the scabbard appear to have hardly any wear to them, which ,to me is strange. When replacing the knife they would normally be scraped as the knife went in, also the throat of the scabbard appears to large for the actual  scabbard, as for any manufactures marks, I believe that some did,nt have any, so thats no indication of help, mine had the type of knife inscribed at the bottom of the blades just above the guard and not along the top. I think there are a few here that collect nothing but these knives so I suggest await more info, but I,m on the fence with this one. It would also be interesting to see if I,m mistaken and would also help me

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Dave,

Your thoughts are similar to mine and I was hoping the lack of a maker would be the clincher. Personally I think it's probably a replica, all be it a well used one!!

I'll hope that I get more replies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

You can always rely on Davejb for a very good and informative answer about Militaria.....Thanks Dave !

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

I am grateful for your opinion but can you tell me what it is about the knife that makes you so certain? Another militaria collector who has seen it (in the flesh) has told me that, in his opinion, the knife is genuine but the handle has been changed at some point!!

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Hello Bil,

Very informative answers and links to assist another MCN member......Best Wishes and thanks for your reliable comments

Ian/ Desert Rat

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Kiwi,

Hope all is well with you. Any success on your knife as yet.?

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Ian

• 5 weeks later...

Ian,

Sorry, only just seen your message. Still got the knife but have a buyer lined up. I think we've got to accept that it's a replica so will have to bite the bullet on price!

By the way, is it possible to send you a private message? I want to ask your opinion on something.

Alan.

• Like 1

Hello Alan,

Good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Please e-mail me via MCN on the  - Message box 

Sorry to hear its a replica...what a shame!!!

Best Wishes...IanB

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Hello Bill,

You are right, my mistake...but depending on the time involved to make a quick decision, then sometimes we have to take a chance and buy it -  fake or real ....!

Best Wishes for 2018

IanB/ Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat

Very Good Comment Bill,

Sorry if I offended you, but thanks for your kind comment.

Yes we all rush in when we see an item at a very good price.....and don't use our common sense, we should all know by now about replica this and that, all made and very good copies, so we all need to know exactly what we are buying....some are lucky others not!

I think we have all made that stupid mistake at one time or another, but we should always learn from our mistakes ( I am still trying)

Best Wishes to you for 2018......IanB

Thank you Very much Bill,

I appreciate your sincere comment.

Very Best Wishes to you and Your family for 2018

Ianb/ uk

• 2 months later...

Hello Kiwi,

Did you get more info from MCN members regarding the bayonet.....I hope so?

Best to you....Ian/ Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

• 1 month later...

Hello Bill,

How are you? Long time since we messaged.

Have you any items in your collection that you can add to MCN.....so we all can see them?

Best to you.....Desert Rat

On 05/05/2018 at 12:25, Desert Rat said:

Edited by Bill in VA
Because this site is dead
  • Like 1

Sorry Bill,

What is a MUTT...?

Best to you..Desert Rat