SD-2 'Butterfly' bomb.

Waffenamt

• Major General

Ok,Not strictly large ordnance but will no doubt end up in a sub forum when created?

This should jog a few memories for @Davejb :D

This has been cleaned up after a few tips from the Jeeeensy,who always looks after his pal Waffy....^_^

German SD-2 with type 41 impact fuze.

Lots of original paint left,the charge/body is actually a traing round as denoted by the hole in the bottom shown.

All original parts from the arming wire to the charge.Oh,and fully inert as per all my items in the collection.

Ive a few of these rascals,All made up from original parts and some restored with new paint. Will show in time.

This one i bought from a pal at the Stoneleigh show after i had just sold some other items.

New buyers of these should beware as i have heard of reproduction cast iron charges made in europe. Shame really as its wrecking the hobby if not declared as repro.

DSCF0092.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG

DSCF0094.JPG

DSCF0095.JPG

DSCF0096.JPG

DSCF0097.JPG

DSCF0098.JPG

Edited by Waffenamt
typo as usual
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Waffenamt said:

Ok,Not strictly large ordnance but will no doubt end up in a sub forum when created?

This should jog a few memories for @Davejb :D

This has been cleaned up after a few tips from the Jeeeensy,who always looks after his pal Waffy....^_^

German SD-2 with type 41 impact fuze.

That's really cool. Would this have been used as a Ground Attack bomb against ground troops.

Edited by Lenny
excessive quoting ;)

• Major General

Thats correct,or used in civilian populated ares to cause chaos.

• Upvote 1

YEP, that looks like the little sucker, fair gave me the heebee geebees, I still see that guy who brought it in, he lives not too far from me, but what I find amazing is that we live in a countryside town about 15 miles from London, it just shows how inaccurate bombing could be, and this whole area was nothing but countryside during the war and the town was,nt as big as it is now, but what I did find out was that the Luftwaffe, after bombing London, did a wide circle North and then headed East, which would have placed them over our area, there was even a 3 gun battery set up on a large hill about two miles from us to catch them unawares, I,m wondering if these things were dropped because they had trouble dropping on target because of flak so had to get rid of them on the way back

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Highly likely that is correct Dave. Less weight to carry home. Although german ordnance was relatively safe to land with,i would assume its a lot easier and quicker to scarper without them.

It was mainly the Allies that had to jettison live ordnance as we mainly used mechanical fuzes(nose and tail varieties)

The germans were mainly electrical and only charged just before release.

• Upvote 1