1917 Imperial German Butcher bayonet - Oberndorf

PmMeYourCats

Got this in a group recently and have been gently cleaning the blade around the markings to get a better look at them. It's a little pitted but overall not bad. On the spine it has a imperial crown and "17" indicating the year of production. I've always wanted one of these but a sawback would have been preferred~

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

Have you checked the back spine for tooling marks, this would suggest that it was once a saw back, and later the teeth were removed as per regulations

8 hours ago, Davejb said:

Have you checked the back spine for tooling marks, this would suggest that it was once a saw back, and later the teeth were removed as per regulations

I have indeed and it has never had a sawback sadly. Usually you can see where it was due to a lot of metal being missing.

• Upvote 1

I do love the butcher blade!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, BryanDavidson said:

I have indeed and it has never had a sawback sadly. Usually you can see where it was due to a lot of metal being missing.

The reason I asked was that the back spine looked very close to the fuller groove, almost too close, but if you  have,nt found any tool marks then it might not have had teeth to begin with, I cant remember the date that all sawbacks were banned, Ok just checked,. sawbacks in the German Army were removed by order in 1917.

• Upvote 1

Also I notice that your one might have a flash guard which was introduced in 1915 to stop muzzle flash from damaging the bare wooden handle

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

Also I notice that your one might have a flash guard which was introduced in 1915 to stop muzzle flash from damaging the bare wooden handle

Yeah you can find these without that and they are usually pre war example's.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really tell, but is the blade blued or bare metal? I have one but the finish doesn't look as good as the one pictured. Mine is blued and not a sawback either. In the same trade I did get a k98 that is a sawback.