King Tiger Tank Drive Sprocket Axle Component.

timjonheath@gmail.com

This has to be one of my prized items relic wise. This was originally found during ploughing on a farm near Caen, France and was purchased for just a few Francs back in the early 1980's. The guy who brought it back to the UK was sure this part was from either a German Panther or a Tiger I tank. When it came into my possession I wanted to confirm and be sure which of these German tanks it had come from which meant a visit to the Tank Museum at Bovington. It was examined by the Tiger tank restoration team who gave me a big surprise! They showed me to one of the King Tiger tanks they have there on display and said "this is where this part belongs, not from a Panther or a Tiger I but the King Tiger"!!! The guys then went on to explain that this is quite a rare piece due to the fact that the only unit operating the King Tiger tank in Normandy was the 503rd Heavy Tank Regiment and that this unit did not really get the chance to see much action as they were virtually wiped out by aerial bombing, though due to the King Tigers immense size and armour protection most of their crews survived the bombing unscathed. That said some of the King Tigers were blown over by the force of the bomb blasts. This piece has been re-painted and is in very good condition as when it was unearthed it was put inside a barn along with other military relics. The farmer did say he had numerous visitors who would always ask to see the scrap pile, items which the ploughing unearths every year to this day. Its a great piece of history and was bought for me by my partner Paula for my 50th Birthday. Enjoy!! 

king tiger part.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here's where the part goes on the beast itself!

King Tiger part (2).JPG

• Upvote 1

I'd love to have something like that! Great Piece

Thank you very much and would love to be able to get the rest of it :)

• Upvote 1

Nice piece :) You can get the dunkelgelb in spray cans, (the correct RAL colour for that era), if you fancy taking it back to the original colour :)

I did it with some WW2 ammo cans I found in an army surplus store......stripped 'em and re-sprayed them :) 

Before............

DSC01182.thumb.JPG.2888de6b026132fb3e015

After.............

...DSC02772.thumb.JPG.b184a23c9fe832d39038a

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Steve T said:

Nice piece :) You can get the dunkelgelb in spray cans, (the correct RAL colour for that era), if you fancy taking it back to the original colour :)

I did it with some WW2 ammo cans I found in an army surplus store......stripped 'em and re-sprayed them :) 

Before............

DSC01182.thumb.JPG.2888de6b026132fb3e015

After.............

...DSC02772.thumb.JPG.b184a23c9fe832d39038a

I was actually thinking of restoring it to its original paintwork and maybe fitting it with a glass top to make a small table, was just an idea but not sure if I will ever make anything out of it :)