Chromed No.4 spike scabbard?

Lenny

• Field Marshall

What's the deal with chromed Spike bayo scabbards? Presuming parade? This came in with other bits and pieces.

i know it's not worth much but how much you reckon?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have three ordinary no4 "pig stickers", I know that parade ones could be chromed but I thought that was only the spike not the scabbard, perhaps it was a regimental thing, mine are pretty common, so worth about £20-25 each, but that also depends on maker and scabbard, if you find one with a bakelite scabbard and a flat back you have a rare beast, there was a site that showed all the different makes and serial no/s but I dont think its still operating, ask Steve T to show his flat backed ones which he dug on a site we go to, there were quite a few variations in scabbards and spikes, another rare beast is the cruciform blade if memory serves, and also the three edged blade, but something ringing in this old brain of mine says these were banned as it was deemed a cruel weapon.

• Upvote 1

Ah, the poor old pig-sticker . . .or tent peg . . . a most unloved beast.

In truth though, a fascinating weapon. Graham Priest covered the subject in tremendous depth in his privately published book "The Spirit of the Pike - British socket bayonets of the Twentieth Century". I know he has none available now, as it sold well. But perhaps available on Ebay . . Amazon? Worth the price to simply read and understand the history alone, as well as being 'the' reference work.

Chromes examples most definitely for parade use only. My one a Longbranch (Canada) made No. 4 Mk.II. The one with the ball tip added is for colour parties, this one British made. More on colour parties and their bayonets posted here - http://www.bayonetsplus.com/f_standard_bearer.html

626.jpg

745.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Cheers, probably only worth a few quid?

Not a super amount. The bayonets themselves are the most common . . Mk. II

It's the chrome and ball that jack up the price a little.

There are a variety of examples around, as they were all capped at unit level . . . so they vary in shape and size.

Some other examples in my collection, including a No. 9

419.jpg

707.jpg

718a.jpg

719.jpg

• Upvote 1