Quist M40 Camouflage Paint

fireman687

I would appreciate opinions on this one.

This is an early Quist M40 which left the factory as a double decal Luftwaffe issue. I purchased it around 10 years ago, very cheaply, and in the belief that the camouflage paintwork was post war. The helmet came with a very poor quality inner liner band, liner and chinstrap which I disposed of. It retains its original outer band which is dated 1940 and maker marked for Schuberth-Werke. It was my intention to restore this helmet but I have never got round to it. However, Internet research would suggest that the camouflage paint is in fact contemporary and possible typical of the style used in the Mediterranean area. The Luftwaffe decal has been carefully painted around and is intact. Although very difficult to make out in the attached photograph, the outline of the tricolour is visible on the right hand side. My theory is that solvent from the camouflage paint has lifted the edge of the tricolour. Part of it appears to have been intentionally scraped away, presumably by a previous owner wishing to confirm that it was a double decal helmet.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

DSC002834.thumb.JPG.ad6881274437e25b852b19d3070a7666.JPG112053917_DSC002852B.JPG.0541d82261a1fc46b878c7c9e58f6660.JPG  

I would try GHW2 as there are more 'helmet types' on there that would have a better idea, in particular user 'Schwerpunkt' would be the go to guy as he knows his stuff. He is also active on most of the other fora on the same name.

Rich