Hi!

PaulR

Hello,

I'm Paul.  I am a career military officer, with over 25 years of service and counting.  I started off in the Marine Corps as a Machine-gunner and anti-tank missileman in 1990.  In 1992, I joined the Coast Guard and became a Corpsman.  I had a very exciting career, with two three-year tours on two different cutters and two tours in IOF (II and III). I advanced to the rate of Senior Chief Corpsman in 2013 and promoted to Chief Warrant Officer 2 in 2014.  The prospects are very high in my making Lieutenant (O3E in the Navy and Coast Guard) next summer.  

I've been collecting militaria since I was 18 years old. My first love was Soviet Orders and Medals.  I came in right at the best time for that field, as Order of the Red Banners were 20 dollars, Order of the Red Stars were 5 dollars, and the Labor orders were even less expensive.  My other focuses include WW2 German Luftwaffe insignia and uniforms, German items and groups pertaining to the Warsaw Uprising of 1944, US Coast Guard medal groups with expeditionary/campaign medals, and Saddam-era Iraqi insignia and uniforms.  Unless there is an item I must really have and cannot afford, I cannot bring myself to part with much of anything.  As a result, I have some of my original pieces I picked up in 1990.  

I really do not have many other hobbies at this point and time because I am so busy with family, work, and finishing my education.  I barely have time to breathe.  I waited somewhat late in life to start my college education.  Reality sort of hit me hard after my 18th year of service, when I began to think about life after the military.  As a result, in 2009, I started taking classes one at a time.  Even during deployments, I did everything in my power to keep the forward momentum going.  Finally, I completed my AGS in March of 2009, BA in History in 2015, and am 1/6th of the way through my MA in Military History.  I am SERIOUSLY considering the prospect of earning a Ph.D. before I retire from the military.  History has been a passion of mine since I was a small child.  I do not like sports, drama, or other non-consequential stuff.  For some reason, I've always been like that.  History and the military are my life and hope to be contributing to either or even both for years to come.  

Anyway, enough about me.  I look forward to seeing you all around.  Thanks for allowing me into this community.

Regards

Paul

Edited by PaulR
  • Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Welcome aboard :D.You should have some stories to tell :).

:submarine:

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

• Field Marshall

Welcome, great to have you here....

• Upvote 1

• Major General

What an introduction! Welcome to the forum:)

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much Sir.  I appreciate the kind words.  

• Upvote 1