EF64 M.42 Camo

Bil4338

• Major General

Looking at my shelves, actually forgot I had this one! Alas the liners been ripped out, maybe bloodstained?

chinstrap has a makers mark but there are so many wrinkles in the slightly shrunken leather it's illegible.

odd batch no in the rear, looks like 00 then a smaller 85 (which I've neglected to take a photo of), and a very near-to-the-rim EF64 faintly stamped.

hope the photos show the nice patina on this lid.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Nice M42, and yes the patina does show, shame about the liner, it would look great with a decently aged one. Have you tried chalk dust on the strap, it sometimes works to enhance a marking, plus its easily dabbed away.

• Upvote 1

• Major General

I'll need to try that, good idea.I'll have a liner somewhere, maybe have a go at that too, although I like to keep these things as they are it might enhance it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

I'll need to try that, good idea.I'll have a liner somewhere, maybe have a go at that too, although I like to keep these things as they are it might enhance it.

I,m glad my idea has presented you with a possible solution, another little trick that I have tried with some results is to use a rolling pin and apply gentle pressure to the strap, this flattens the creases in the leather and helps to read markings, combine both methods and you might see a result, Although I agree with you about authenticity, I do prefer to see a helmet with an appropriate looking liner, even a replacement, provided its aged naturally and looks the part. Liners were replaced in the field so in some cases theres no real evidence that every helmet in a collection has its original liner, yours has its original inner and outer rings which can be difficult to re apply a leather piece , but can be done with patience, or an entirely complete liner fitted. I once found a stall at an arms fair that had loads of leather pieces only, no rings etc, they were in various states but I wish I had bought a few now, good luck with it.

One thing I forgot to ask, have you checked the lot no/ against listings, a lot of KM helmets were EF including M42s