French medals

Todd A. Raffensperger

My obsession with the 100th anniversary of Verdun has gotten me hooked on collecting French militaria.  Starting with these, a 1914-1918 Croix de Guerre, and a Legion de Honneur from the 3rd Republic.

DSCN0172.JPG

610_10208416274027355_8825430715763799806_n.jpg

10367180_10208416275667396_6298213840624350956_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Those are some very attractive sets.  I like that you still have the cases with them.  There are not too many French medals with cases still together.  The Third Republic example is pristine!  I've never seen one in that good of condition.  

Paul R., I also obtained a French Medal Militaire, but without the case.  Photo to follow soon.

• Upvote 1

as you can see I live in france, doing a big fair next weekend, there will be tons of medals about

3 hours ago, PaulR said:

@the colonel- Please take a lot of photos!

will do, equally ill take the crashed flying saucer in a small French village en routre, and I'm not joking, its le roswell francaise

3 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

Nice to see these examples boxed.

• Upvote 1

equally this is my corps last Normandy vet, hes the little guy, just received his LdH a week ago

LdH [558558].jpg

• Upvote 2

Growing up with these men over the past 44 years, it is sad to see them like this(frail).  I remember my grandfather as a very strong and active man, working the farm harder than 20-year-olds today.    Breaks my heart.  I remember talking with WW1 veterans until I was in my 20s.  The world marches on...

My French assortment.  From left to right; A Legion de Honneur of the 3rd Republic, a Croix de Guerre with a star and palm, a French Medale Militaire, and just arriving today, a Verdun medal.

DSCN0190.JPG