GJ M35 Combat tunic with a story

Manu Della Valle

Another Gebirgsjaeger tunic in as-found conditions,this time with trousers.
It's rare to find such a complete set coming from the same estate.It's been found by an Italian collector in Austria or Germany a short time after it had been separately given away.The collector tracked the two and now they're in my collection.
Inside the tunic's pockets there were a lot of tickets and papers.
This man's unit was stationed in Garmisch-Partenkirchen where the soldiers were also sent for refitting and the Gasthaus Rassen is still one of the better known hotels there!
The tunic came with its original suspenders,which thing is uncommon,not to say quite rare!
It's a very early,unmessed-with M35 tunic and the date on the papers and tickets go to show that wven this late in the War the older tunics were still worn,either by Ersatz Units or by "Alter Hasen".This guy belonged to the 1/Gebirgsjaeger Ersatz bataillon,and for the ones who can read or want to translate from German here's a little story of it:
<<<Das Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz-Bataillon 98 wurde bei der Mobilmachung am 26. August 1939 in Mittenwald, im Wehrkreis VII, aufgestellt. Das Bataillon unterstand der Division 157 und stellte den Ersatz für die 1. Gebirgs-Division. Am 15. Januar 1940 wurde das Bataillon zum Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz-Bataillon I./98 umbenannt. Dies wurde nötig, da fast zeitgleich in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, ebenfalls Wehrkreis VII, ein Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz-Bataillon II./98 aus dem aufgelösten Gebirgs-Träger-Bataillon 54 entstand. Anfang November 1940 machte das Ersatz-Bataillon II./98 Abgaben zur Wiederaufstellung des Generalkommando XVIII. Gebirgs-Armeekorps. Anfang Mai 1941 leisteten die beiden Ersatz-Bataillone Abgaben zur Aufstellung des II. Bataillons vom Infanterie-Regiment 727. Anfang September 1942 stellten die beiden Ersatz-Bataillone Abgaben zur Aufstellung des I. und II. (Gebirgsjäger) Bataillons vom Infanterie- (Feldausbildungs-) Regiment 616. Die beiden Ersatz-Bataillone wurden am 1. Oktober 1942 in jeweils ein Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz-Bataillon I./98 bzw. Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz-Bataillon II./98 und ein Reserve-Gebirgsjäger-Bataillon I./98 bzw. Reserve-Gebirgsjäger-Bataillon II./98 geteilt. Zu dem Zeitpunkt der Teilung befanden sich alle Einheiten in Garmisch. Die beiden Ersatz-Bataillone unterstanden nach der Teilung der Division 467. Die beiden Reserve-Bataillone unterstand nach der Aufstellung der 157. Reserve-Division. Das Reserve-Bataillon I./98 wurde nach Annecy in Frankreich verlegt. Das Reserve-Bataillon II./98 verlegte nach Lonslebourg, ebenfalls in Frankreich. Das Ersatz-Bataillon II./98 wurde am 6. Juni 1944 aufgelöst. Das Personal kam zum Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz-Bataillon 99. Im Juni 1944 gliederte sich das Reserve-Bataillon I./98 in drei Jäger-Kompanien, eine MG-Kompanie und eine schwere Kompanie. Das Reserve-Bataillon II./98 gliederte sich im Juni 1944 in zwei Jäger-Kompanien, eine MG-Kompanie und eine schwere Kompanie. Das Ersatz-Bataillon I./98 wurde am 20. Juli 1944 zum Gebirgs-Jäger-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 98 erweitert. Die beiden Reserve-Bataillone bildeten im Oktober 1944 das I. und das II. Bataillon vom Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 297 der 157. Gebirgs-Division und waren damit aufgelöst.>>>

The 2nd was deployed on the Normandy Front where it fought during the landing while the 1st was stationed not very far.
Hope you'll enjoy it

GJM352010.jpg

GJM35201.jpg

GJM35202.jpg

GJM35203.jpg

GJM35205.jpg

GJM35206.jpg

GJM35207.jpg

GJM35208.jpg

GJM35209.jpg

GJM352011.jpg

GJM352012.jpg

GJM352013.jpg

GJM352014.jpg

GJM352015.jpg

GJM352016.jpg

GJM352017.jpg

trousers20001.jpg

trousers20002.jpg

• Upvote 3

All of those documents were in the tunic?  Very nice setup!  I love it.  

Yes they were Paul!

Thank you Ahrtal!

Cheers

Manu

Definitely Ham,

and it belongs to a soldier who served in an unit with a very interesting combat record!

Cheers

Manu

Thanks DAK!Glad you've appreciated that!
Cheers
Manu

I really do enjoy your posts, you have a terrific eye for the best items for a collection, and a nose for sourcing them out, you must have some very good contacts

• Upvote 1

Hi Dave,
for starters thank you very much for your kind words,mate!Let's say that I've been lucky enougfh to start collecting at just about the right time in the right place(s).Yes,I had very good contacts in Italy.France and Germany but the vast majority pof the items in my collection have been found in Italy and Southern France.I've thinned my collection but I strive to keep items with a story or a solid provenance!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1